Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

What Was Your Worst Job Ever?

Over the years we have good experiences and bad...recently, I had a bad experience with a subcontractor who took the money and ran, leaving me holding the bag.. I am currently finishing the job that this guy barely started. He was to install a flagstone patio and I handed him $1300 as a deposit for materials and supplies. Well, he visited the job site once....moved some soil around but did no excavation, then disappeared. I had to scramble to get some extra help and now I'm going to lose my butt on this job.

The job has turned into a bit of a nightmare, as it is in a townhouse community with an adjoining condominium community. Seems like most of these people have too much time on their hands and the old folks at the condo place became upset at the presence of our truck and dingo near their property. They called the police on us for "trespassing" eventhough no signs were posted anywhere and we had permission from the townhouse people to be there. To make a long story short, we are supposed to recieve a certified letter from these -----s stating that if anyone from our company sets foot on their property again, we will be thrown in jail.

I asked the cops "what crime did we commit" and they basically rolled their eyes saying that eventhough the property wasnt marked part of the area that we were walking through,belonged to the condo association, and we didnt have their permission to be there.

We have worked in this area for three years and never had a problem ...now this.

So this week has been really crummy for us so far...and I'm still out $1300 bux.

I know you're all going to say, take the subcontractor to court...and we intend to do that but I think you just can't get blood from a stone in this case.

So can anyone top that?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nope. Sounds like that sucks pretty bad. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2003, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you can't get bllod from a stone, but you ccan get the stone...