Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

greenhouse - being a farmer

I know not right forum but no one is ever on the nursery forum. I have a greenhouse which I paid good money for. Thing is I have now worked for 3 farmers who grow for market and they pay nothing for there greenhouse. They have nice if not nicer structures than I do. They must plant in the ground but the gov't pays for 95% of there struture. I hate to ask questions to clients like why, how, where but they sure like to brag that they paid nothing for them.

Anyone know of this or how to search for this??
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's one of the incentive's for being a farmer, help with thing's like that.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So where do I find more info about it?? Searching farmer incentives. Farmer greenhouse Greenhouse farming Really nothing shows up.

And besides incentive for being a farmer - helps with things like that???
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

around here its the FSA office,other wise farmers welfare office.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your local extension agent
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That is true - my extension office. Didnt think of those guys. Not like it does me anygood but I like knowing things and how this works. I think we should have a sudbies payment due to lack of rain and no mowing!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The first requirement to receive this assistance is you have to be a true farmer, so you probably don't qualify for government assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
That is true - my extension office. Didnt think of those guys. Not like it does me anygood but I like knowing things and how this works. I think we should have a sudbies payment due to lack of rain and no mowing!
You can probably get food stamps, that's how it works, they don't actually BUY YOU the greenhouse.
YOU buy the greenhouse, they give YOU food stamps, but you don't use those food stamps to pay for the greenhouse either.
You buy FOOD with those food stamps, but the MONEY you would have spent on said FOOD pays for the greenhouse.
Dig?

Last edited by herler; 07-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea farmers are dirt poor like the little one that is next door to me. He sells flowers and makes a lousy 2 million a year in a span of about 2 months that poor poor man.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Same here - poor farmers. When every equipment dealer is sold out. Chevy,ford,dodge dealers cant keep enough 3/4 ton 60K trucks on hand. Ii have a brother in law who buys like crazy cuz he dont want no taxes and still shows a loss. He buys new stuff - never pays sales tax - its farm use. Figure what you and I pay on a $60K truck not mr farmer jones.

Thats why I am curious how this greenhouse thing works. So HERLER I get the comment about food stamps already. Maybe I should try for those as well!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Same here - poor farmers. When every equipment dealer is sold out. Chevy,ford,dodge dealers cant keep enough 3/4 ton 60K trucks on hand. Ii have a brother in law who buys like crazy cuz he dont want no taxes and still shows a loss. He buys new stuff - never pays sales tax - its farm use. Figure what you and I pay on a $60K truck not mr farmer jones.

Thats why I am curious how this greenhouse thing works. So HERLER I get the comment about food stamps already. Maybe I should try for those as well!
I guess its a good thing now that you dont have to look out the window seeing your corn crop burn up along while the bulk of your annual income. If you dont like how farming works I say you protest and quit eating or grow your own. But it is gov't programs that pay for these cold frames It is the NRCS in my area my inlaws have two for vegatable production.