Register free!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Member

what size pump

Hey guys I am working on a pond at my house for catfish. I am looking for a pump big enough for a 40x40x10ft deep pond with a 6x12 waterfall. If I am correct that is about 120,000gallons. I have always used a pump that would circulate the volume of pond every two hours minimum, but I dont think I am gonna find a pump like that. So I am wondering what the best course of action would be. any info is appreciated.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

A pond that big u need to look a aeration and not a pump to circulate. A bottom diffuser is what u need..at least 2 of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info I looked them up and that is exactly what i am needing
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure u are using a piston style compressor. Technically u could use a diaphram style but a 10 feet deep you are pushing its limits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks I will keep that in mind any recomendations on what brand
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need a 1000 GPM pump to turn the lake every 2 hours. Likely about 15 HP depending on the height of the water fall.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Turning a lake using a pond pump is possible but the cost alone will make u cringe wen u get ur electric bill. The waterfall is simply cosmetic feature. Using bottom diffusers is more cost effective and better for a farm pond or lake simple because u are forcing air from the bottom up. Using a pump to circulate u are only doing a few feet of water unless bottom drains were installed. I can get all technical but im sure tad will respond so ill leave the techno mubble jumble for him..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Turning a lake using a pond pump is possible but the cost alone will make u cringe wen u get ur electric bill. The waterfall is simply cosmetic feature. Using bottom diffusers is more cost effective and better for a farm pond or lake simple because u are forcing air from the bottom up. Using a pump to circulate u are only doing a few feet of water unless bottom drains were installed. I can get all technical but im sure tad will respond so ill leave the techno mubble jumble for him..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Gee thanks!

I agree. Use bottom diffusers (2 as suggested). These will more thoroughly mix the water. You can utilize a pump to power the waterfall. Keep in mind that you will need a minimum of 1000 gph for each 12" of waterfall width. This gives about a 0.25 inch flow depth. If you are using a submersible, you will need to house it in some form of wet-well. If you opt for an external pump, you will need a suitable filter screen on the intake.
I am assuming that this is an earthen bottom pond and, unless the pond is box shaped with perpendicular sides, the total volume will be considerably less than 120,000 gallons. Estimate the average depth in making your calculations.
Don't forget to allow for sufficient aquatic plantings to aid in maintaining water quality.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

this pond is actually a large square It used to be a stock tank that eventually started leaking into the pasture. it was completely drained cleaned out and a liner put in. One side has three ledges about three feet high and there is one ledge around the other three sides about four feet from the top. with a waterfall in one corner where would the best placement of the diffusers be. thanks ffor all the info so far. the entire bottom is ten feet deep except on the edges where the shelves are
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Just space them evenly at ten feet depending on the size of the compressor then up flow bubble pattern will be 3-5 feet n diamter its basically a cone shape.
Posted via Mobile Device