Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Fescue over not fescue grass

I had a bare spot from a swing set and I had a landscaper lay down some sod. In those areas on the egde I was going to put some seeds to fill it in. So, I went to homedepot and asked a guy what to use...well he said use this tall fescue (scotts). Now I knew nothing so I went out back and put some down. Um, yea, fescue as I know NOW is a thick bright green grass not like the rest of my lawn. Sigh, so much for the help at homedepot. So Is there an "easy" way to get all this grass up and lay down another seed (?scotts sun and shade?). Just dig it up around the edge? Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a big difference betweel TTTF (tall fescue) and the fine leafed fescues. It's hard to tell from the photo, but you likely have Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass sod. This is why the tall fescue does not blend well. You can hand dig out those areas or carefully spot spray them with Round-UP and then re-seed once it's dead with the proper seed type.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the seed package carefully--you could be looking at perennial rye if it was in the seed mixture as part of the ingredients.

If not, the light green may be just new grass and it will darken as it matures. Scotts would never sell low-quality light green stuff. They want to protect their reputation, (as the leader in consumer grass).

And, on the other hand--the light green grass you see is probably crabgrass. Is the stem hairy near the soil line?
Does it look like this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=crab...ient=firefox-a
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The brighter grass is definitely the fescue as its all were I (sadly) put it. here are 2 closer pics. the scotts fescue was tar heel II Tall fescue, Wolfpack II Tall fescue and Greenkeeper WAF Tall fescue. No idea if that means anything. So I went out and got the scotts sun and shade which is a whole mixture (pic below). I am assuming this will grow in similar to what I already have. So...I am going to spot spray these areas with round-up, wait a week, then mix the dead areas around with a rake to make the soil better and lay down some seeds and water water water. sound like a good plan?
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look carefully at the Scotts Sun and Shade--only about 14 percent Kentucky bluegrass.

You should have a local lawn care expert identify the foreign grass first. What kind of grass is in the sod? what is the light colored grass?

Tall fescue has distinct prominent parallel leaf veins. It also has tiny sawtooth edges on the grass blade--not visible--but you can feel for the roughness.
Can you see the red seed stalk in the lower center of the left picture? I suspect that it would produce some crabgrass seedheads if allowed to grow for a week or two.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

The foreign grass is what the very nice homedepot guy told me to use, the scotts tall fescue, which obviously doesnt match what I had. Its exactly where I put it. sigh. I think I am going to spray with roundup to the fescue grass and then re-seed??? Bad Idea? Good idea?