Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scag Velocity + front baffle---- stock or the replacement for the bagger kit?

Does anyone use the original front baffle that comes stock on the deck and also use the bagger kit? The kit comes with a baffle that has a 4in or so flat area that always seems to build up and cause cut quality issues. If I knock the clump out off the flat area it cuts great again.

My real concern is if the stock baffle will allow enough suction when using the bagger kit? It's a real pain to swap them out all the time. I installed the bagger baffle and it's been on since. I don't want to waste the time changing it to find it doesn't bag grass or leaves as well without it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Does anyone use the original front baffle that comes stock on the deck and also use the bagger kit? The kit comes with a baffle that has a 4in or so flat area that always seems to build up and cause cut quality issues. If I knock the clump out off the flat area it cuts great again.

My real concern is if the stock baffle will allow enough suction when using the bagger kit? It's a real pain to swap them out all the time. I installed the bagger baffle and it's been on since. I don't want to waste the time changing it to find it doesn't bag grass or leaves as well without it.
I'm not sure. Maybe someone will chime in that runs a Scag 61" V+ deck with a bagger and doesn't use the baffle from the bagger kit.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What model Scag are you running? I have a 52" velocity WB with a side bagger with no baffles installed. If you have a bagging system with a blower I cant help you. Sorry.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 61" Tiger Cat. I left the original baffle on for the reasons you described. I've never really had an issue, only a little bit of blow-out in the fall. Make sure your engine RPMs are correct to help with wet spring grass.

The baffle on the discharge opening is a whole other story (mine looks like hell from catching the trailer and curbs all the time; bent to ****). My plan is to weld a replica of that baffle to the blower housing so that when I take the blower on and off, I have the original baffle on the deck (right now I have the original baffle on, just using an Accelerator as needed until fall). The bagger baffle for the discharge opening actually seems to create slightly more vacuum and discharge farther, however it clumps easy in wet grass.