Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerz520 View Post
thanks everyone. So far local dealers want $4819 for Scag Freedom Z; Hustler Sport (Kaw) $4350 and Bad Boy MZ $3999.

Looks like I need to increase my budget.

Thanks again
I was incorrect. Went to the dealer today and the Freedom Z is 5200. It is a 2011 model with 19hp Kaw. Really like the mower, just not sure if the price is reasonable.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best bang for your buck is right here:

http://www.snapperpro.com/models/ful...cations/5:s50x

If I could find a Ferris IS500Z for $4K with a bagger I would nail it. Probably going to get one next spring for my aging back. But it will be more than $4K
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
Best bang for your buck is right here:

http://www.snapperpro.com/models/ful...cations/5:s50x

If I could find a Ferris IS500Z for $4K with a bagger I would nail it. Probably going to get one next spring for my aging back. But it will be more than $4K
Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger yesterday!! Now I have to wait until Saturday to pick it up, gonna be a long week!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Repair or Replace?

Hi, thanks for having a special place for us nonprofessionals to ask questions.
I have a 2004 Hustler FasTrak with an 18 hp Honda engine. When it was new I mowed 10 acres and now I only mow 4 acres and cut paths through the rest. Itís had a hard life mowing around fence posts, sometimes doubling as a bushhoog, mowing over bumpy, hilly grass and yes, getting stuck in wet areas (never thought to take a picture until I read through this thread). The hydraulics/transmission on the right side is shot. I can mow for about 45 minutes and then it needs to cool down. Iíve been told it will cost $1500 - $2000 to repair. I really like this mower but is it worth fixing? Is it likely the other side will go soon, or the engine?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
Hi, thanks for having a special place for us nonprofessionals to ask questions.
I have a 2004 Hustler FasTrak with an 18 hp Honda engine. When it was new I mowed 10 acres and now I only mow 4 acres and cut paths through the rest. It’s had a hard life mowing around fence posts, sometimes doubling as a bushhoog, mowing over bumpy, hilly grass and yes, getting stuck in wet areas (never thought to take a picture until I read through this thread). The hydraulics/transmission on the right side is shot. I can mow for about 45 minutes and then it needs to cool down. I’ve been told it will cost $1500 - $2000 to repair. I really like this mower but is it worth fixing? Is it likely the other side will go soon, or the engine?
I don't think I would drop 2K in an 8 year old mower, but who told you it would cost that much to fix? How many hours on the machine?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
I don't think I would drop 2K in an 8 year old mower, but who told you it would cost that much to fix? How many hours on the machine?
I was told the cost to repair by someone who does not like Hustler mowers. He said he has 2 just like mine with the same problem and he didn't think it worth fixing. He said to junk it and get a BadBoy from Tractor Supply.
I don't know how many hours it has. I looked under the seat but couldn't find a gage or mention of one in the manual.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the requirements you have for a mower. I would not go to TSC. I would find a dealer I could trust and see what their recommendations are. I would fix that Hustler before I bought a Bad Boy. On some of the Hustlers hour meters were an option. The tranny may be able to be rebuilt. I would certainly get a second opinion from the one you have gotten.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
For the requirements you have for a mower. I would not go to TSC. I would find a dealer I could trust and see what their recommendations are. I would fix that Hustler before I bought a Bad Boy. On some of the Hustlers hour meters were an option. The tranny may be able to be rebuilt. I would certainly get a second opinion from the one you have gotten.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
I was told the cost to repair by someone who does not like Hustler mowers. He said he has 2 just like mine with the same problem and he didn't think it worth fixing. He said to junk it and get a BadBoy from Tractor Supply.
I don't know how many hours it has. I looked under the seat but couldn't find a gage or mention of one in the manual.
If it has has a hour meter it would be under the seat on the side rail or could be on the control panel, but you would have seen that. As far as the opinion on junking it and buying a Badboy, that is certainly not the best advise. I would find a local Hustler dealer and see what is going on with your machine or any reputable repair shop. I mean it could be a hydro adjustment or need servicing. I think your mower speaks for itself in the fact that you cut 10 acres for x amount of years. If in fact you do have a 2K service bill (Which I doubt) I would consider a new Fastrak. I think you will find the new Fastraks have changed quite a bit! I have a Fastrak Super Duty 42" and I'd drive it to the office everyday if it were closer, I love it!!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Popeye and Capemay for your responses. I was a little insulted with the guy who told me to junk it.
I first took the mower to the dealer I bought it from and who has been servicing it over the years. I told him that after mowing for about 45 minutes it starts whining, then squealing and then the right steering goes out. I left it with him and he mowed his grass several times and couldn't find any problem. He said it might be the transmission but that it was an expensive fix and he wasn't sure that was the problem. He did say he would come back and get it if I had more problems but then the other guy (who doesn't like Hustlers) stopped by my house to look at it and said to junk it so I didn't know what to do. There's another Hustler dealer in the area but they have a bad reputation. There is also a Scagg dealer that has a good reputation but I'm not sure if they work on Hustlers.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a Hustler dealer forum on here. A rep for them answers questions. Might try going over there and giving him a shout. I would list the serial number in the post. He seems pretty helpful.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000