Stander X 9 36.00%
V-ride 14 56.00%
other 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
the v-ride a 48'' as well? i have a 52'' and 36'' vride. I really like these mowers but cant say i ever tried a wright. I think the wright x is a more expensive mower by quite a bit if i recall? so maybe a good deal there. but i can tell ya the scag v-rides are the business and ive cut some seriously tall grass and they havent missed a beat.
How do you like your 36" v-ride? Started out looking at 36 inchers but worried about the weight. I've read the rut and aren't as stable on hills. Every dealer I've talk to has steered me toward a 48" due productivity. After trying a 52" wright stander-x last week, I'm not sure how much more productive a 48" would be over a 36". I have a lot of tight areas and I felt like spent more time trying to maneuver he bigger mower than it as worth.

How does your 52 compare to your 36? Is there a big difference in stability, rutting, being light in he front?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a 48 would be alot more productive the larger the area you mow. i have a place i like to use my 36 at specifically. now i can use the 52'' and get it done faster but it leaves more to weedwhack because the 36 can squeeze between buildings and cut those narrow areas that the 52 cant. so time spent overall to completion is probably similiar. but i like riding a mower and cutting through the closer passages rather than having to do more walking afterwards. i think it would be a pretty big difference in size between the 36 and 48 as well. i read all the horror stories of rutting a 36 but i havent seen it personally. that little bugger flies and zips up and over everything.if you know how to use the controls you wont tear the grass up. i was considering taking the 2 weights off up front and seeing how it reacts (or maybe just 1 weight, but havent yet. i took the front weight off my 52 and wont be putting it back on ever. i can hang hills on both of them. just use your body as a counterweight if they are steep or go straight up em. they got plenty of power. they are very nimble. i drive em around like i stole em at full speed ahead. they both leave very nice cuts. if i had to have only one of the two it would definately have to be the 52'' because you can still cut small yards with it but really get it done on larger areas. they really feel about the same the 36 is just much narrower of a mower. hopping back on the 52 from the 36 it feels big, for about a minute. the 52 is a little faster as well. with the larger areas i cut i use the 52 much more.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i remember when I was looking at the scag v ride and wright, wright was more expensive and i think it was more of a pita to change/add the mulch kit. it involved multi tools and crap. its been proab a year since i ever looked at one. but i hear nothing but good on both machines. i think it just all depends on price, which you say is the same, and then look at the features, gas tank size, blade tip speed, grease ability, spindles, deck thickness, quick deck height adjustment. i really am considering selling my toro 32 for a wright 32, but i dont want to have to deal with washers and this and that to get my height, i want to deal with pins and holes or a lever that i put in a notch which is why i got the floating toro in the first place. but i mean, i dont think you can wrong with either machine, yellow is a beast of a color.
2012 Wright 32"
2011 Toro 32" wb Floating Deck w/ Kawi
2007 21" Snapper Hi-Vac w/ Kawi
2007 21" Heavy Duty Toro w/ Kawi
McLane Commerical Walk Behind Edger
Stihl FS 110R String Trimmer
Stihl FS110r String Trimmer
Stihl FC 110 Stick Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HL 100K (135º)Hedge Trimmer
Stihl HS81T Hedge Trimmer

Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

It really depends on the type of mowing you do. I love Scag but I can pop the front end up on the V-Ride in the show room floor easily and you cannot do that on the Stander X. The Stander X will maneuver better and hills will not be a problem at all. The Scag will do a little better in wet grass but the new aero core deck on the Wright is pretty close.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 215 and have only had it come up once because I was leaning back (not realizing it) and going up a fairly steep incline. V-Ride guys have complained about it worse than on the GrandStand. Honestly I would test mow a Wright. As I said, if they were in our area we would have most likely (after a demo of course) went with them.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, decided to give the Grandstand another look. Picking up a 48" to demo Monday. The v-ride I was going to demo hasn't come in yet. It would be nice to have them at the same time for a side by side comparison.

Has anybody had any problem with air cleaners (Kawasaki FSS) on the Toro? The reps for scag/wright has the Kawasaki FX and they really seem to hit that point over and over.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples82 View Post
Well, decided to give the Grandstand another look. Picking up a 48" to demo Monday. The v-ride I was going to demo hasn't come in yet. It would be nice to have them at the same time for a side by side comparison.

Has anybody had any problem with air cleaners (Kawasaki FSS) on the Toro? The reps for scag/wright has the Kawasaki FX and they really seem to hit that point over and over.
That was one thing I liked about the Wright over the other brands is it came standard with the higher end motor. Also comes standard with the heavy-duty air cleaner which in these dry, dusty conditions we've been havng I am cleaning it all the time so I'm glad it has the HD one!

As far as the mower itself goes, I LOVE my wright! I demoed a Vantage side by side with my Wright last fall and the Wright literally mowed circles around it. The Vantage/Grandstands are just monsters! you might as well just put a seat on it and call it a rider. Wright ahs the game won as far as I'm concerned for size, maneuverability, operator comfort, simplicity of controls, power, and speed.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both 48 vride 52 stander not the stander X. I like the vride better for power, cut, comfortable, speed, controls and looks. The wright is smaller which is better but that is the only thing that is better about it in my opinion. The wright was better side to side on hills untill I took the front weight off the vride. The only time I can get the frontend to come up is with the blades off and hammer the sticks. I'm only 150lbs and you don't need the weight when you are that small. Demo is the best way to find what works for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Just demoed a 48" grandstand and a 52" v-ride. First the v-ride, the mower had plenty of power and a beautiful cut but i couldn't get comfortable with the control.s Especially in tight places. it just seems to herky-jerky for me.

With the grandstand, I felt like i had better control. Its not quite as fast as the v-ride or the stander-x but I don't usually mow wide open anyway. The platform hang off the back was a little annoying at times. I'd didn't really notice the size difference till I started using them and loading and unloading on the trailer. The wright seemed to have the advantage there.

Overall, I liked the wright a little better than the v-ride or grandstand. I am not sure I liked it enough to buy one. I know a lot of guys are going to the standers but not sure if they're for me. They seem harder to control over a ztr but that may come with time. Also,Ii thought I could make a 48" deck work but i have so many tight places and small back yard gates that a something in the 42" range may work better for me. All of my yards are small residential.

I'm looking at the bobcat fastcat pro 42", exmark pioneer s 44" and maybe a wright 42" stander rh.

Any thoughts one those or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!