Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
harryoldguy harryoldguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: anna texas
Posts: 1
cordless trimmers

I need help. Please tell me which are the top 5 cordless commercial grqde trimmers(weedwhackers).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM
ZeroSignal ZeroSignal is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bricktown,NJ
Posts: 38
when you say cordless I hope your not saying one of those battery pack units? None...

Or are you talking about a gas powered units?
__________________
HomeOwner
Echo SRM-225 Trimmer
Echo PB-255 Blower
Honda HRX217HXA 21" Mower
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
I used to use a Black and Decker cordless trimmer when I first moved into our home about 7 years ago.

It was used already and used it for one summer until I started buying equipment for the business.

I will say, it worked well as long as you kept up on the trimming. If you got really tall, thick grass then of course it wasn't that great.

Also had two batteries for it. I've also used some other HO black and decker equipment and I suggest them to my customers for their own personal use around the home.

....
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 AM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,398
This is as close to "commercial grade" as I've seen.
At my dealer's open house, I spoke with a guy from Core GasLess Power, who was demonstrating a new, rechargeable string trimmer.






From the website:




It was... "interesting".

Random observations after looking at it and running it. (no cutting)

SO quiet and NO vibration.
It has two speeds to give added torque when desired.
2 year commercial warranty.
Well balanced.
There's no "shaft" - the tube only contains wiring.
The motor is in the head - and it's quite unique. (see website)
I believe they source some parts (handle and head/shield) from Echo.
I believe he said it would be $419 including 2 batteries and a rapid recharger.
OK to get wet. Head can be run in/under water w/o damage. (not sure how waterproof the rear/battery section is)
Battery has been tested to run for 1 continuous hour on lower power setting.
I believe he said the cutting power was roughly equivalent to a 26cc gas trimmer.
The head/spool can be swapped for different types.
I was told it works "great" with a blade and that they are going to add a safety bar option for blade use soon.




I'm sure it has it's applications, and isn't for everyone, but I could not deny that it appeared well designed, and well built. If it were lighter, it would have made me a bit more interested. As it is, it's only .7 lbs lighter than my Stihl FS90R, so the only benefit would be near zero noise, and no more tingly hands.


Anyway, I thought someone may enjoy looking at this unusual new product.
I've always dismissed "cordless" trimmers as being unpractical, but this one appears to be closing the gap in some aspects.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 AM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
This is as close to "commercial grade" as I've seen.
At my dealer's open house, I spoke with a guy from Core GasLess Power, who was demonstrating a new, rechargeable string trimmer.






From the website:




It was... "interesting".

Random observations after looking at it and running it. (no cutting)

SO quiet and NO vibration.
It has two speeds to give added torque when desired.
2 year commercial warranty.
Well balanced.
There's no "shaft" - the tube only contains wiring.
The motor is in the head - and it's quite unique. (see website)
I believe they source some parts (handle and head/shield) from Echo.
I believe he said it would be $419 including 2 batteries and a rapid recharger.
OK to get wet. Head can be run in/under water w/o damage. (not sure how waterproof the rear/battery section is)
Battery has been tested to run for 1 continuous hour on lower power setting.
I believe he said the cutting power was roughly equivalent to a 26cc gas trimmer.
The head/spool can be swapped for different types.
I was told it works "great" with a blade and that they are going to add a safety bar option for blade use soon.




I'm sure it has it's applications, and isn't for everyone, but I could not deny that it appeared well designed, and well built. If it were lighter, it would have made me a bit more interested. As it is, it's only .7 lbs lighter than my Stihl FS90R, so the only benefit would be near zero noise, and no more tingly hands.


Anyway, I thought someone may enjoy looking at this unusual new product.
I've always dismissed "cordless" trimmers as being unpractical, but this one appears to be closing the gap in some aspects.
$279.99 with one battery pack and 3 hour charger. careful though, replacement power cells are $150.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 AM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Also, one of our local, well established dealers have been selling the WORX products that you see infomercials for on TV.

They say they've tested them and they like the product, but I have no personal experience with them.

...
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
$279.99 with one battery pack and 3 hour charger. careful though, replacement power cells are $150.
Yep. The guy said that the only difference between their "commercial" and "homeowner" packaging is that the commercial comes with TWO batteries and a RAPID charger.
Overall, if you're looking to get two batteries, the unit with the rapid charger is the better deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Edge & Engine Edge & Engine is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cassadaga, NY
Posts: 31
The Core trimmer shouldn't be confused with the other cheap imported plastic machines using .060" line and calling themselves trimmers. Core trimmers are heavy duty and made for commercial use. Made in USA, too.
http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/c...s-trimmer.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 AM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge & Engine View Post
The Core trimmer shouldn't be confused with the other cheap imported plastic machines using .060" line and calling themselves trimmers. Core trimmers are heavy duty and made for commercial use. Made in USA, too.
http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/c...s-trimmer.html

However.. they cannot power through "viney" weeds, because as soon as they wrap around the lower end between the head and the cup, it stops the trimmer flat out. This wasn't something I experienced in my initial test run before ordering, but an in person demo to a lawn care business owner had this happen and immediately stated to me that a gas trimmer wouldn't have stopped cold like that, that it would have had the power to at least keep turning. I can't say I didn't agree with him and loose some of my enthusiasm for the units at that point. It also took a while to untangle it from the unit.. :-(
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Davido Davido is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 21
I'm actually interested in these products. I do not believe them to be a complete replacement for gas trimmers, but for an already well-manicured property - edging and light trimming - it seems very interesting to me. They also make hedge trimmers, blowers, etc. that uses the same technology (circuit board rather than wire winding) to keep them lighter. I wonder how long they will last? is there contact on the circuit board of any type? It gets so hot here (Vegas) you have to beat the heat by starting as early as possible. Some communities have noise restrictions in regards to landscape maintenance - such as not starting 'till eight AM or so. Plus, with the smaller properties in this area. Hmm. Interesting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.07127 seconds with 9 queries