Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need all the knowledge/advice i can get

So basically i mowedgeblowtrim with fall/spring cleanups and snow plow. I don't know jack about power washing but am getting a ton of requests by my customers to power wash their places. I would like to know everything about the business and how to properly and successfully power wash. From time to time i borrow my dads 2700psi troy-bilt pw but seem to take a LONG time trying to get off moss and green slime? off surfaces from wood to cement. It seems that i do not have the correct tips or pw'r itself to do the jobs efficently without wasting a ton of time? EX: im currently power washing my neighbors playhouse for his kids and the moss/green slime is taking forever to get off. It took me 2 hours to wash the damn thing and i didn't even finish the roof of it. I woud like to know i guess what type of pw'r i should invest in and wat type of tips i should always carry? Should i be carry different types of chemicals/soap for each different job? One customer in particular is asking for their house to get power washed of which their house is vineyl. I ended up telling her that i believed most houses went for 250-300 dollars which she immediately replied that sounds fair. In short story i am starting out with 0 knowledge, but have requests for this service to be administered with existing clients, and am seeking a phd in this stuff. Can anyone help? I hate using residential brands like troy-built however, is 2700 pw'r good enough for this job? Should i be getting other supplies? Tips ect? any help is VERY appreciated!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ron Please Join my Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ronmusgraves Glad to help you get this taken care of, Its pretty simple you just need some Household Bleach to kill the Mold & Mildew. If its a Small place you could spray it with one of your electric pumps you use for weed killer or a pump up. Join My Facebook if you have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
So basically i mowedgeblowtrim with fall/spring cleanups and snow plow. I don't know jack about power washing but am getting a ton of requests by my customers to power wash their places. I would like to know everything about the business and how to properly and successfully power wash. From time to time i borrow my dads 2700psi troy-bilt pw but seem to take a LONG time trying to get off moss and green slime? off surfaces from wood to cement. It seems that i do not have the correct tips or pw'r itself to do the jobs efficently without wasting a ton of time? EX: im currently power washing my neighbors playhouse for his kids and the moss/green slime is taking forever to get off. It took me 2 hours to wash the damn thing and i didn't even finish the roof of it. I woud like to know i guess what type of pw'r i should invest in and wat type of tips i should always carry? Should i be carry different types of chemicals/soap for each different job? One customer in particular is asking for their house to get power washed of which their house is vineyl. I ended up telling her that i believed most houses went for 250-300 dollars which she immediately replied that sounds fair. In short story i am starting out with 0 knowledge, but have requests for this service to be administered with existing clients, and am seeking a phd in this stuff. Can anyone help? I hate using residential brands like troy-built however, is 2700 pw'r good enough for this job? Should i be getting other supplies? Tips ect? any help is VERY appreciated!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned above, you can get a lot more done with a powerwasher, if you use a cleaning solution first. Spraying through the powerwasher itself may not be the best idea though. A pump sprayer is your best friend.
Bleach is good, but any overspray that gets on your clothes will eat through the fabric (just a warning).
I've used oxyclean in water. This doesn't have this problem, and as it foams up on the surface when you spray it, there's a little bonus there.

TSP is stronger than bleach for cleaning, but can etch vinyl and glass. Be careful not to leave it on a surface for too long (or to let it dry on a surface).
Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Downstreaming your house wash mix, after the pump, is the best way to go. Much faster than using a hand pump. Also get ash grey shirts and the bleach will not damage them or bleach out. I get 12 news one every year. Usually I have to replace them because they are to dirty not due to bleach damage. Also Dickie work pants 847 will not bleach out either.

Doug Rucker 281.883.8470
Clean and Green Solutions

I own an Awesome Pressure Washing Company and Fantastic Roof Cleaning Service Company located in Houston Texas

http://houston.pressurewashing.net/
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! That's just the kind of handy advice I come here for.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rlitman,
and about driveways what i spoke to you about the other day. when using the 4gpm and you don't want to spend the money on surface cleaning buy a rotary nozzle. should sell at hardware stores or hd. google a pic of them. there the next thing under a surface cleaner