Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper blown Generac motor

FRUSTRATED
In 2008 I purchased a DIXIE CHOPPER Xcaliber 3300 mower with a 66'' cut.Unfortunately,I also traded my 6yr old DC with a Kohler engine which never gave me a bit of trouble....Stupid me! Started out with belt issues the 1st week which was fixed over a 2 year period. Fast forward to 4th year with 300 hrs on mower. Was mowing my lawn when suddenly I heard what sounded like a belt breaking. Turned mower off at that point and when I looked over my shoulder, oil had blown everywhere! A mechanic looked at it and said something had blown a hole through block. He felt that something had to have been loose in the block to blow a hole like this.
As per Dixie Chopper, took it to the dealer-they needed to take pics for Dixie Chopper to decide whether to help with replacement or not. My Generac engine had a 3 year warranty which has now changed to 2 (hmmm....don't companies usually lengthen warranties on a product that they believe in?) I have always been extremely OCD about maintaining my mower i.e. fluid levels, filters, grease, adjustments, etc. Today the dealer calls and tells me tough luck, Dixie Chopper looked at pictures and decided that I had run it with low oil and they will not cover the motor (funny thing ,the dipstick was full the day before mower blew!).He said that the pictures showed aluminum shavings which comes from running without oil. Of course, all the oil blew out when the engine blew and we have had to move it 2x! My problem is that Generac, nor D.C. wants to own this one and I don't feel that I should have to spend $2800 for a new engine (not incl. labor) on a barely used mower...After some research I have found that my mower is not the first to blow the motor at so few hours. I am no mechanic, but I am also no idiot either so I have included the pics trying to figure out how they determine low oil.....Any Ideas? Where do I go from here??? I need to replace engine but I am not sure which Kohler or Kawasaki engine will be the best fit.HELP!
After looking at my pics this was the evaluation from 1 mechanic and the other 2 were similar:"Since when does low oil cause a connecting rod to break? The scoring on the crank maybe but, if I was a betting man, I'd say all the little pieces of that connecting rod running around loose in there were the cause. Especially since nothing else seems worn from "lack of oil".