Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,896
the wall's drainage system is only an "all else fails" system.

a well designed wall (grading) will probably never see a drop of water in the drainage chimney.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,429
Hmmm, what about ground water, and freeze thaw issues as well. There are specific times of year that the ground is saturated so not necessarily always coming from the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.


.....
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Birchwood's Avatar
Birchwood Birchwood is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.



.....
I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.
__________________
Steve Fiskow
Birchwood Gardens Landscaping - Full Service Landscaping

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,896
Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
zedosix's Avatar
zedosix zedosix is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.
An the water flows downhill?


.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
FLCthes4:11-12 FLCthes4:11-12 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: N.E. Georgia
Posts: 284
why wouldnt you put some soc pipe in there? Its insurance, plus it looks good on a proposal and its not but $55 for a 100' roll here. And so you dont have to answer the question from the HO saying so and so said that it needed a pipe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.
It's insurance as far as I'm concerned. But yes, might have been over-kill.

The way I look at it is that on the back-side, if there is ever a downspout issue, then the water will fall off the roof pretty heavily, and the drain tile is insurance against that.

On the flat side of the house, it faces the west. Most storms here come out of the west and would blow against the house. Occasionally we get rain storms that will dump 1.5"-3" in and extremely short period of time. (say an hour). So again it's just insurance as far as I'm concerned.

And it was my mother-in-laws house. Last thing I wanted to have happen was failure due to water issues and hear about it for the rest of my life.





......
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.07032 seconds with 9 queries