Register free!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the wall's drainage system is only an "all else fails" system.

a well designed wall (grading) will probably never see a drop of water in the drainage chimney.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm, what about ground water, and freeze thaw issues as well. There are specific times of year that the ground is saturated so not necessarily always coming from the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Here's a link to a project I did. There were two downspouts involved, one at the top of the run and one in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5107642&type=3

I just used two separate exit points for the downspouts and ran it under the base of the wall.

Luckily, due to the slop and grade, I was able to get the pipe below my wall base. So far so good after 3 years and there hasn't been any settling or anything where the wall goes over my pipes.

I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Andy - "ground water"?

If you have ground water then that's called a "spring". And a whole different can of worms.

Soil is always moist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Whoa, whoa Devious one.

Ground water originates from many sources other than springs, it comes from heavy rains, frost, on occasion yes a spring (which we've had to deal with once or twice). If the top of the slope is graded properly and the proper material used to resist water penetration like brick or clay then I agree the "drainage chimney" stays relatively dry.
An the water flows downhill?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why wouldnt you put some soc pipe in there? Its insurance, plus it looks good on a proposal and its not but $55 for a 100' roll here. And so you dont have to answer the question from the HO saying so and so said that it needed a pipe.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
I want to know the groups thoughts on the wall White Gardens built. Wall look very nice, but I wouldn't have put the draintile behind it. I'm curious to know other thoughts on that, I think it over kill for only 3 lines of creta.
It's insurance as far as I'm concerned. But yes, might have been over-kill.

The way I look at it is that on the back-side, if there is ever a downspout issue, then the water will fall off the roof pretty heavily, and the drain tile is insurance against that.

On the flat side of the house, it faces the west. Most storms here come out of the west and would blow against the house. Occasionally we get rain storms that will dump 1.5"-3" in and extremely short period of time. (say an hour). So again it's just insurance as far as I'm concerned.

And it was my mother-in-laws house. Last thing I wanted to have happen was failure due to water issues and hear about it for the rest of my life.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.