Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 PM
CandyAces's Avatar
CandyAces CandyAces is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roanoke Va
Posts: 26
Turf Tiger with 35 vanguard or 29 Kawasaki?

I've been looking at turf tigers for a while now. I've narrowed it down to two choices. A demo 61" with 35 Briggs vangaurd with 19 hrs for $10,0000 or a brand new 61" with the Kawasaki 29 liquid cooled for $12,000. I'm was really skeptical about the Briggs until I read some posts about the vangaurd. Now I don't know what to do. I have all Kawasaki's now but am open to change. The dealer goes out with every demo to make sure nothing happens to the mowers so it looks to be in good shape.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 PM
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 114
We have two 61" Turf tigers at work. One is older with a 29 Kawi and the other is new with a 35 Briggs.

Let me tell you the Briggs spins those blades way faster and doesn't bog down at all. Uses around 5 gallons per 8-9 hour day of mowing. The unit with the Briggs is far less inclined to clump up than the 29 Kawi.

Just my opinion having run a 61" TT with both power plants.
__________________
-Pete
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
CandyAces's Avatar
CandyAces CandyAces is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roanoke Va
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
We have two 61" Turf tigers at work. One is older with a 29 Kawi and the other is new with a 35 Briggs.

Let me tell you the Briggs spins those blades way faster and doesn't bog down at all. Uses around 5 gallons per 8-9 hour day of mowing. The unit with the Briggs is far less inclined to clump up than the 29 Kawi.

Just my opinion having run a 61" TT with both power plants.

Thanks for the info. Do you think the it being a Briggs with effect the sellability of it down the road more so than the Kwai?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyAces View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you think the it being a Briggs with effect the sellability of it down the road more so than the Kwai?
I can't really speak to resale values too matter of factly as I'm only an employee, but I'd say that overall condition of the machine will have more of an influence on resale. Plus it seems like all new mowers are going with higher and higher HP engines so I'd think a 35 horse mower would be more with the times longer than a 29 horse mower.

Like I said I'm a big fan of the TT that has the 35 over the 29 but at the end of the day it's your money. I can tell you that you won't see 2,000$ more in resale on a Kawi over a Briggs.
__________________
-Pete
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM
ztman ztman is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
I can't really speak to resale values too matter of factly as I'm only an employee, but I'd say that overall condition of the machine will have more of an influence on resale. Plus it seems like all new mowers are going with higher and higher HP engines so I'd think a 35 horse mower would be more with the times longer than a 29 horse mower.

Like I said I'm a big fan of the TT that has the 35 over the 29 but at the end of the day it's your money. I can tell you that you won't see 2,000$ more in resale on a Kawi over a Briggs.
based on rocket's comment on fuel consumption, sounds like the van guard would run much cheaper, i burn about two gallons per hour with the 29 kawi
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 PM
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
based on rocket's comment on fuel consumption, sounds like the van guard would run much cheaper, i burn about two gallons per hour with the 29 kawi
To clear up confusion so I'm not misleading anyone that's roughly 5 gallons per 8-9 hour work day not 8-9 engine hours according to the meter. As far as I can tell they burn about the same amount of fuel per day.
__________________
-Pete
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
We have two 61" Turf tigers at work. One is older with a 29 Kawi and the other is new with a 35 Briggs.

Let me tell you the Briggs spins those blades way faster and doesn't bog down at all. Uses around 5 gallons per 8-9 hour day of mowing. The unit with the Briggs is far less inclined to clump up than the 29 Kawi.

Just my opinion having run a 61" TT with both power plants.
.....................

Last edited by StanWilhite; 08-01-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: deleted after reading the reat of the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
CandyAces's Avatar
CandyAces CandyAces is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roanoke Va
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
.....................
Thanks guys I think I'll go with the briggs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyAces View Post
Thanks guys I think I'll go with the briggs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm a big Kawi fan, but this spring when I went looking at new mowers, and especially at the TT, there was no question which engine it would be if I bought one (which I ended up not doing, but for other reasons)-35 Vanguard BB. The Vanguard is no more a B&S engine than it is a Honda engine. B&S is merely the US distributor. They partnered with Diahatsu (who is owned by Toyota, and is the actual maker of the engine) in building the plant in Japan, and as said are the US distributor. The Vanguard is a very good engine, and usually does better on fuel, and provides more real world HP and torque than other engines of the same HP class.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.08014 seconds with 9 queries