Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

brown patch pretty much eats up fescue here in eastern nc. I stop fertilizing in Feb/March, but it doesn't matter. The heat, humidity, and afternoon thunderstorms will brown out a lawn in hours. It a battle and I'm considering offering a fungicide program which I think would be 3 monthly apps to prevent BP.

I may even do a 2 fall app and 1 spring app on my warm season in an attempt to preven large patch.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerify the piss out of the effective areas, Brown patch is basically a root fungus that lies in a vegetative state that will reappear year after year when conditions are right.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If an aerator is not cleaned going from property to property, can diseases be spread this way? And if so, is the cleaning process simply hosing off the machine, or are other measures needed
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If an aerator is not cleaned going from property to property can diseases be spread this way?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its possible, some of my lawns have Red Thread (including my own) and I always wash the mowers after each infected yard to prevent it from spreading to other properties. It seems like its been a great year for fungus (hot, humid, and wet)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just thought I'd post for anyone else battling fungus this year especially in zone seven

Last edited by ron mexico75; 06-21-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just thought I'd post here since some recent posts were made and it's that time of year again. I have one lawn I take of plus my own lawn that get brown patch REGARDLESS of cultural practices. Maybe it's just the area where I'm at, Virginia.

I saw grassmaster Wilson posted in the thread last year around this time. He's not too far away from me and seems like he ran into the same issue. Anyway I TRIED to be proactive this year but I think I started about 2 weeks too late and was taken by surprise by the brown patch. Was cutting one week and everything looked good I return the next week and could see the beginning of a fungus. I applied caravan G and everything looked to clear up in the lawn looked good. However I did not get a full 28 days at the 21 day mark I saw the fungus coming back. This is where I really messed up this year, I applied Baylton granule at the preventative rate. I think I messed up twofold I did not put it down heavy enough and I don't think that what's the right fungicide to control brown patch even though it's listed on the label. That was five days ago so to get control my supplier recommended headway G. I applied that today with some 16–2–5 and applied the nitrogen at one half pound per thousand. Just to green it up a little and to promote some more growth because the grass has really slower down and hopefully this will help it grow out of the fungus infection.

I'll report back to see how this works I'm thinking I might be able to get 28 days but I'm guessing maybe just 21. At that point I'm going to go ahead and apply some heritage G.

Think next year I will start about two weeks earlier and use something else besides Bayleton in the rotation. Have read good things on the site about 3336. Headway seems to be some real good stuff as well from what I have read.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else have fungicide stories, advice, issues, etc?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any other guys treating fungus or having issues?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to treat my lawn for the second time. Red Thread is finally drying up in most lawns but Brown Patch is starting to flare up. What part of VA are you in? I am in Northern Virginia.