Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
My monthly accounts only pay in advance for the months service. Only way to work and it keeps the customers honest. No drama. No chasing down dead beat accounts.
easy-lift guy
I have to agree that's the best way to do it, problem iv ran Into most people don't like paying in advance as they have had other guys quit showing up (illegals) Have to gain there trust first right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I didn't take it as disrespectful...a lot of guys just don't get how Florida works...besides Texas, cal, and Arizona, and Hawaiiwe are the only state that cuts in the winter. But we don't have to worry bout droughts like Texas, the high heat of Arizona, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
$200 a month sounds about right for a 5-6000 sq ft lot with too many palms, too much foliage plants and about 1000 or so of grass that is reel cut. Blow through a property like this in 15 minutes-FIRED. I have seen properties without landscaping and 2000 or so of weeds to be cut with a rotary. Now those are $50 a month and done in 15 or so minutes.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
$200 a month sounds about right for a 5-6000 sq ft lot with too many palms, too much foliage plants and about 1000 or so of grass that is reel cut. Blow through a property like this in 15 minutes-FIRED. I have seen properties without landscaping and 2000 or so of weeds to be cut with a rotary. Now those are $50 a month and done in 15 or so minutes.
But a McDonalds hamburger where you are is $26
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought it was big kahuna burger
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Great point about different markets. Certainly New Dork prices are going to be closer to Green Doctor's Price than Florida. Add in this economy and all the out of work grass cutters etc.

But the point I want to make is not every one has to be Willy Sutton and go after the High Dollar accounts. If you can find that niche market, Mow and Go can be profitable. I have seen several (for lack of a better word) LOW BALLERS be very successful. Fact is in my old age I am proud to be a Low Ball inside pest control business. More Money in my Pocket, Less Work and More Fun.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Its actually around $2-3 I think. Don't know for sure because I have not bought anything from there for over 10 years. Otherwise, my idea of a burger is around $6. Good thing I only need to have one. It would become a problem if I ate 2 and 3 at a time.

The government is disorganized enough that they do not require you to have a license to start a mower or plant a few flowers, much less be able to maintain a cadre of bureaucrats intent on enforcing such ridiculous regulations. I am thankful that government here does not have their s-t together. The cost is in fuel, property and food. I am sure it would not be $200 or more for FULL SERVICE of a 5,000 sq ft lot if gas was not over $4.30, median price of a house was not over $600,000 and a pound of beef almost $10. Mowing for $30 a cut or doing applications for $5 per 1000 is not realistic under these conditions.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Its actually around $2-3 I think. Don't know for sure because I have not bought anything from there for over 10 years. Otherwise, my idea of a burger is around $6. Good thing I only need to have one. It would become a problem if I ate 2 and 3 at a time.

The government is disorganized enough that they do not require you to have a license to start a mower or plant a few flowers, much less be able to maintain a cadre of bureaucrats intent on enforcing such ridiculous regulations. I am thankful that government here does not have their s-t together. The cost is in fuel, property and food. I am sure it would not be $200 or more for FULL SERVICE of a 5,000 sq ft lot if gas was not over $4.30, median price of a house was not over $600,000 and a pound of beef almost $10. Mowing for $30 a cut or doing applications for $5 per 1000 is not realistic under these conditions.

I am not for government regulation and believe in a free society, BUT.

I have seen too many backward landscape Designs that looked beautiful the day they were installed. And looked like a jungle 6 months later.

Let us not even talk about backward mowing & chemical practices.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I am not for government regulation and believe in a free society, BUT.

I have seen too many backward landscape Designs that looked beautiful the day they were installed. And looked like a jungle 6 months later.

Let us not even talk about backward mowing & chemical practices.

Rico agree with that 75% of the time. The other 25% is a cheap homeowner who won't pay a quality company to maintain the 20-K landscape they just had installed. In fact that number may be higher...but I agree, most installs are designed poorly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Rico agree with that 75% of the time. The other 25% is a cheap homeowner who won't pay a quality company to maintain the 20-K landscape they just had installed. In fact that number may be higher...but I agree, most installs are designed poorly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems like every other person that moves to Florida is an expert landscape designer or premium Landscape maintenance person. Most don't know the name of the Plants they install let alone how it grows. I won't even begin to talk about Chief Scalp em Up and his weed eater grass killing methods.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwpayne View Post
ok guys my first post finally, iv done lawn service in the past right after high school from 05-08. Iv been back in the biz for 1 month now and have 15accounts. I noticed people in swfl really don't want to pay much for lawn care these days, iv had so many phone calls of people wanting monthly service for $50-$60 bucks max. There is no way in h3ll anyone can survive on that. I won't drop my gate for under $80 a month and that's for close friends. Years ago I billed monthly 60+ accounts now I'm charging by the cut, I mow when I get paid!!!! nothing like chasing down your money. I also want customers that want lawn care not mow and go lawn service, so with that said, I'm only looking to service 15-20 lawns 1 maybe 2days a week as I have a full time job in something outside the lawn biz. Just had to vent as I had a customer give me a $40 check to cover the entire month of Aug. I handed it back to him and said I can no longer manage his lawn as I would be losing money. So I pretty much set my prices at the max and the people that do pay it. Well we are both happy cause I'm not some hop and chop lawn dude. My work speaks for itself. Lol do I sound too cocky? Ha. Just sick of the people out there that want something for nothing, really grinds my gears even though I'm a cheapazz myself. Hehe
Posted via Mobile Device
I just had to revive this one. Funny how guys like this blow onto a thread, tell us how great they are, how we are a bunch of hacks, then disappear after getting their butts handed to them. 5 posts and never to be heard from again.