Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerate and seed vs slit seeding

I have been in the business for 8 years and we have had great success aerating the lawns double over and then over seeding the lawn with a push spreader. Some lawns that are mostly bare sometimes only grow in where the holes were made from aerating, which can be frustrating. I been looking into buying a slit seeder for a few years now and was just wondering what others thoughts are. Is it worth the money to buy and use for these bare and mostly bare lawns? Do you use them for every lawn when over seeding? What model would you recommend for purchase that is budget friendly?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A slit seeder is your best friend for seeding large areas without top dressing... if you can rent various models to find one that you like, that is the way to go...
I opt to broadcast and topdress with compost, when ever possible...
Bare or mostly bare areas can also be aerated multiple times to the point of being tilled, if you have heavy ground, and rake the seed in place... just do whatever it takes to avoid the doll hair affect
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to ask...is it best to apply seed before aeration so that the cores cover up some of the seed...or...best to seed after aeration so that some of the seed falls into the holes and on top of the cores? How deep is the optimum core depth if you are sowing seed? Double aeration or triple aeration? Is dragging of the cores helpful to the overseeding effort?
Does it make any difference as to what seed you are sowing?

Thousands of lawns are going to need seed this year. What is the best management practice?

What is the most common practice for winter overseeding of rye on Bermuda?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-02-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: ps
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I would like to ask...is it best to apply seed before aeration so that the cores cover up some of the seed...or...best to seed after aeration so that some of the seed falls into the holes and on top of the cores? How deep is the optimum core depth if you are sowing seed? Double aeration or triple aeration? Is dragging of the cores helpful to the overseeding effort?

Thousands of lawns are going to need seed this year. What is the best management practice?

For freshly killed lawns with the dead grass blade for cover, the best thing to do is to broadcast and topdress... second best, is to broadcast...

I know lots of people worship the idea that soil contact doesn't occur w/out ripping and tearing, but it does... soil contact isn't even that important if you can get the dead grass mulch to germinate the seed...

This is true of cool-season grasses and I'll be overseeding that way again, in a couple of weeks, and it will work again... (Plz avoid name-calling becuz I do what works...)

For bare ground areas I'll rough it up as much as necessary to get the seed adequately covered and/or mixed in with the surface soil... in this case your aerations with multiple passes will work and dragging or raking is always a must, for me personally... 1/4" depth is recommended...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post

I have done it both ways and have not really seen much of a difference in the final result. But I usually do the aeration first then seed.

I just ordered the turfco XT5 aerator and turfco slit seeder today can't wait to start using them!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Subscribed.