Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

How many big guys on here?

I've been in the business 3 years now and am growing and enjoying it.

I see alot of comments from guys that sound like it is mostly just them and a crew or two.

Im wondering how many people on here are reasonably big, say, 30+ employees.

Anyone?

That is, of course, my goal. I'm wondering who's already there.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is a few decent size companies on here. I don't know about 30 plus employees tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

15 or fewer is considered a small company, most people TRY there best to keep there Companies small. the tax benifits are HUGE.

We useually run 8 to 10 employees.
I dont count myself anymore, becasue I dont do anyhting
Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There was a similar thread in the last year. I think it was about grossing over 500K- not amount of employees though. Search for it and you will get a good idea who is here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
There was a similar thread in the last year. I think it was about grossing over 500K- not amount of employees though. Search for it and you will get a good idea who is here.
Posted via Mobile Device
the amount of employees is a Government standard...

when ya talk about Grossing, Most of the time ya only talk in Quarters.

Personaly: I would NOT consider 1/2 a mil a year a large company
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Computers and the internet have greatly reduced the need for print shops.

Prior to these technology changes 90% of print shops had 3 or less employees. 40 years ago most suburban towns had multiple print shops. One town had 5. Today the number is 1 shop per town and many don't have one any more.

Landscaping is a similar business. A good living can be had with out being large.

Gas stations 2/3 bays means 2 maybe three mechanics. Yes there are more large chain shops now, but who wants to bring their late model car to them.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
the amount of employees is a Government standard...

when ya talk about Grossing, Most of the time ya only talk in Quarters.

Personaly: I would NOT consider 1/2 a mil a year a large company
I agree with you, but the thread exists nonetheless. What percentage of the guys on lawnsite gross over 500k? What's your guess?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I agree with you, but the thread exists nonetheless. What percentage of the guys on lawnsite gross over 500k? What's your guess?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well: From you post, the thread exists: and it was talking about number of Employees. NOT Gross.

Again: Most of the time it's NOT employees in the numbers....

I would hate to attempt at Guessing, somehting I really dont do.
I personaly KEEP my company a SMALL company becasue of the tax benifits.
The USA government set this standard. in order for me personaly to move to a midrange would be Quite costly. in any Business there are always leaps and bounds to get over. this is NOT one of mine. it seem as if were always chaseing that's NEXT step...

Of corse our areas are efficted diffrently. we are turning down customers left and right. I personals turned down 20 last month. My insurance is Quite high and to add more hours, Employees would be in the hundred of thosuands for me. I have money here and there. doing it's thing. and the return on this JUMP would take 5 to 7 years to recover. at this point in my life I dont want this.

I hate paying for things like insurance and audit's of insurance. I personaly think many of us have done this to ourselves, with fraud on insurance CO's.
Doctor's and such. this is why were in the predictument, so Waht I do is give moeny away.

I thought this was a strange post at the start, But I wanted to chime in maybe to help others.
I find that many people here dont know much about BUSINESS of how it works, and I really enjoy comming here and shareing my experances. especially now that I dont work anymore. and have build this company from the ground up, and YES, made almost every mistake a person can.

I really wish more people here would go to school and learn how business works, and WHY it works this way.
I just posted a thread about money. how it works and why it works. and many laughed and ridiculed the post, even to the point of typo's.

many here post about what to do in the winter month's and how to survive. thises post to me are so silly. it tells me that they dont know what there doing. there is WAY too much money out there, all's ya have to do is go get it. BUT you have TO LISTEN.
then do the RIGHT thing with money. I am getting RIGHT NOW 27% on some of my moneys. and mainly just living off interest.
SOme people dont belive this. and I would LOVE to share how it';s done.
it's NOT that hard.

I even see people here taking credit cards as a payment form. when they cant afford it, and they have SMart phones. and then wondering how there going to survive durring the winter months ????

I dont understand this. I even seen a post here about a guy said how a Fast food chain did him..... he gave them 5 bids in 1 day. I questioned him and he didn't even know what workers COMP was, or Color change...... WOW.
he didn't realize it But he missed out on 50,000.00 PER year.

As far as this post. when I see people bitching about stupid things it tells me they dont know what there doing, and then they low ball, anc ***** becasu esome one came in and low balled them........ IT's Simply amazing.
of corse I know there are some here that will TAKE any job. REGUARDLESS. and then there company is headed in a direction they didn't want it to go. But it's too late they already have this rep.

One of the reasons we turn down so many. is becasue Were ONLY HIGH END.
we will NOT accept any job under 100.00 WE just CANT.

Numbers are a funny thing. I have seen guys bid jobs at 45.00 and it coat them 65.00 to do it........
Maybe it's JUST ME ??????

how many here run .5 mil a year. FEW I would think. especially in the mowing areas. I have several friends from this site, mainly in hardscaping that own million dolla companys.

But remember: anyone with a Craftsman mower, can start a business.

Best of luck
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody who wants 30 employees is nuts.

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Active posters? 1% or less would be my guess.

I'm sure there's a lot more that are registered that have a handful of posts or never posted.

Another good question would be how many run more than 1 crew. I bet that number is under 20%.

Could be off since I don't troll the newbie threads much.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bohiaa, Are you related to Bernie Madolph(sp)? Oh wait, even he was promising 27 percent interest.