Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Remember how hard it was to get customers in the beginning. Don't blow a paying customer off cause you now have a lot of work. Work it under your terms and if she can't deal with that then she will get some one else. But you should try and give her good as service as you can.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to keep the business on your terms. You have to do it respectfully as to keep your reputation intact. If you just can her then there is the possibility she may tell 10 others what you did. It eventually catches up to you.
Now I am not saying just jump at every request. Its your business and you are the professional. You have to educate her on how you will perform her request and what it will cost. If she expects something else then you have to explain that is not possible. But you have to be tactful and if it comes to parting ways you have to do it carefully. I have actually recommended other LCO's to certain customers if I couldn't fulfill their expectations. You may want to line up someone to who you can pass her on to if you find that she may be hard to please in your current situation.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Please go look in the Yellow Pages and find the Best yard service company in your area, make sure it is one that is very well known and has a great reputation, then get their phone number and tell your customer that because you are unable to handle the stress that this company you are referring her to is the best there ever was and that they will take care of her, tell her that and give her the phone number to that company, do it now.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

So you have been to the property and you didn't see the shrubs?? How do you maintain a yard mowing every 10 days without working on a Saturday. Also does she know you are going to be there today when she may be expecting it to be the tenth day after her last service. She may have thought she had given you a fair notice.
When I get a call for mowing I give an estimate for mowing... And anything else I see that looks like I could make some cash on. If they don't want it done then at least they know how much it will be when they decide to get it done.
IMO this would fall under an emergency service since there is a deadline and would tell her if I come do it today it would be x+x. If she can wait for my scheduled time then it would only be x. Be nice and pollite most of the time the customer understands you aren't sitting by the phone with nothing to do except waiting on their call. If not you don't need them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Just do the work, and be glad you have the opportunity to do it. There are 10 others lined up behind you willing to accommodate her request. If you don't want to do it, then skip the work and enjoy the weekend and time away from her property.

Why whine about it? Working in a field to provide residential property services is your choice. If you don't like the mix of clients that comes with your choice, then perhaps it is better for you to find another service with another profile of clients.
I agree. Sounds like an easy job, especially leaving the clippings. Just do it and be thankful for the work, lot of guys right now sitting around with nothing to do and not much money coming in, that may be you sometime. Make hay while the sun shines. You can party and have your meetings on the weekend, Monday thru Friday is business time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by TNGrassCutter; 08-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, forgot to mention this, she wanted to me to charge her by the hour for the trimming. It's by the job or nothing, there is no hourly charging except for t&m snow contracts. I haven't gotten to her place yet but will be around noon or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, how did you charge her with using her electric trimmer? If I read that correctly anyway
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And for the guy that says to do the mowing on a 10 day schedule, that would have put the mowing on Sunday. How many of you guys cut on Sunday, not counting if you're behind because of rain? I can guarantee not one of us does, at least they shouldn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
And for the guy that says to do the mowing on a 10 day schedule, that would have put the mowing on Sunday. How many of you guys cut on Sunday, not counting if you're behind because of rain? I can guarantee not one of us does, at least they shouldn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't say that you'll get yardguy in here saying he would prefer mowing on Sundays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahaha!
Seriously though, who works on Sunday? That's my day to either relax or spend it at any given track around the state racing motocross.
Posted via Mobile Device