Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2003, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Standing Mowers/ ie: Wright Stander & Great Dane

Hey, I'm fairly new to this site (Great site), but I havn't had any luck finding opinions on the standing units. Wright and Great Dane have two standing mowers that seem to be excellent choices. Weight and dimension wise, how can you go wrong?

I'm basically trying to decide between the Wright hydro 36" 17hp Stander, or the Exmark hydro 36" 17hp walk-behind with sulky attachment. Residential use for 1/2-2acre lots. any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here is what a search would have turned up: search results

i would suggest that you look towards the wright standers. Wright had the pattent on this type of machine...great dane is a cheap copy that is closely regulated by wright mfg so it will not perform as well. i was just talking to another lco yesterday that has a 36"/17kaw and he loves it, but at the same time wished he went with a 48 or 52". Ask the wright stander dealer to let you have a demo for a couple of days...he ought to let you. Then you will know why great dane is trying to copy it.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

36 Stander on e-bay
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, thanks for the advise. I'm definately goin with a Wright Stander. I did in fact demo a Great Dane and was throughly unimpressed with it's power and manuverability. Interesting info in regards to Wright regulating the Great Dane's design.

You would think more manufacturers would develop their own version of the standing mower.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, any reasons why I should justify spending an extra $850.00 on a Wright Stander 36' hydro 15hp, instead of the Exmark walk-behind Viking 36' hydro 17hp with sulky attachment?

I'm trying to figure out if the ability to complete two more lawns a day, wth the Stander(7mph speed) vs. the Viking at 6mph offsets the cost. You'll never get a straight answer out of either salesman.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

again, i suggest that you demo both machines in question. I think that you will be more pleased and comfortable on the stander.

The extra money that you will be spending on the stander will more than recoup itself. If you figure that you will have the mower at least 3 years, you need to make $300 more per year on the stander. in my region, that equates to $10 per week... the stander ought to get you an extra $25 per day(if you have the extra yards to do).

Also, the stander has option of the 17hp, while i believe the viking is only 15hp.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

wright standard is better for me, the 36 in i looked at was 5100.00
Old 07-18-2003, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by young1255
You would think more manufacturers would develop their own version of the standing mower.
If you want to stand, and even have a WB too, you could try this.
25 horsepower, 54" floating deck, built better than a tank, and a good control system. For standing, I've tried the standers over and over, and this works better for me. You don't get the rocking back and forth from actually standing on the mower.
Attached Images