Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
There is a compromise point in doing this with any trimmer. The variables are length of string, to engine power, to type of stuff your cutting (density and toughness). You will get to let your string out enough for maximum cutting power (longer string actually has more actual cutting power for most materials). We always carry side cutters or hand pruners in our back pockets to cut the string off when it gets flared at the end. Measure the string to a point on the pruners and turn the head and cut the other string the identical length. Bump the head, and your good to go. If too much is let out, wind it in a notch.
I must have somehow typed this whole thing wrong...I would like some more opinions on the walkbehind trimmers themselves not how to cut the grass (I know all about the guard removal and extended string plus I carry my leatherman at all times, which you should invest in). I need to know if if the walkbehind trimmer works well on banks and if it saves time on open areas that a regular mower can not reach (no obstacles like fences,etc...) Just plain open areas that a self propelled mower can not reach or is to high for that takes a long time with a weedeater ... please someone who owns one or has owned one reply ......... Thank You!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm interested in this question, too.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing is more effective and practical than a handheld trimmer. Mow with muscle!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of these a while back for my wife. She said she wanted to help with the trimming around our house. She has used it a few times, but not that much. I'm still doing most of the trimming with the handheld.
Out of curiosity, I tried it the other day on a very overgrown ditch. It has plenty of power (something like 6 hp), even running the 22 inch line, and it whacked down the 2 foot tall weeds, including some blackberry canes, with very little trouble. Changing the trimmer line was easy.
The problem is it was kind of hard to push around because the ditch was very rough (it hardly ever gets cut). It cut through the tall weeds better than my FS 85, since it has way more power, but it was harder to maneuver. Kind of a tossup between those two, but maybe with the nod going to the big wheel trimmer in that application, mostly because of more power in the really tall weeds.
I'm thinking the FS 250 would be better for most rough ditches because of lots of power and better maneuverability.
I think the wheeled mower would probably be best in areas with tall weeds/grass, but smooth slopes. In that situation, it might be the best bet.

The other advantage to the wheeled mower is you don't have to hold it up - for older people or those with limited upper body strength/bad backs, it might be worthwhile.

For most things, though, I'd guess the FS 250 is king. I've never run one, but I hear it is a monster on overgrown right-of-ways.

There is probably a reason you don't see crews using big wheeled trimmers and that you see lightly used ones for sale very cheaply!

If anyone else has experience with these, I'd like to hear what you think - I've only used ours for that one ditch so far.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even An FS 110 is going to have that much more power over an FS85 any day.

But ya, if your doing a lot of ditch/brush work, step up to the 250 and call it a day.

As for the string and guard, I use a brush cutter guard on my FS90 and have taken the bottom skirt off the guard. This way I can let the line out as far as I want and still have a guard on the head. The line runs just below the guard.

And with your comment about power and letting the string out too far, just cut it off it you get too much or find an old fence post or stump and grind it off.

I think you'll be frustrated with a walk-behind in all honesty.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

String trimmers with wheels are great for rough trail maintenance. Now if you could just figure out how to hook a Velke to it.

Last edited by Bumpmaster; 08-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.