Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Window Box Business Ideas

I hope this is the right section for this. I've been thinking of a secondary business to operate in addition to my lawncare service that would help out during the winter months and slow periods. I want to start a general woodworking business where I make keepsake boxes and small children's furniture. But the main part of this business would be making, installing, and maintaining window boxes. I think they are such an attractive addition to a home, but I've noticed that barely any of the houses around here have them, not even the historical or well-kept mansions. My idea was to use time making the window boxes during the winter and selling them during the warmer months. But I would also offer to maintain the boxes for the clients, adding and removing the appropriate plants for each season. Here's my biggest thought: Could I also offer to maintain them during winter and plant winter blooming or evergreen plants so as to add a nice bit of greenery during the cold months? I've read about many flowers that will even bloom in the winter where I am in Zone 5. I don't really want to get into growing flowers myself so I'm wondering if there is a local supplier I could look to during the winter to provide me with plants to do this. Also I've read about some people placing the window boxes on the inside of a kitchen or living room window during the winter with flowers that will grow during that time. I was just wondering if anyone deals with window boxes as part of their business and what comments or advice you may have about my ideas. Thanks very much!
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Think what your looking for lawnsaspire is craft shows. I used to live in your neck of the woods, Crystal Lake, Ill. and did the craft shows from March till November.

Back when I did it there was no such thing as google or the internet for that matter so only took me a couple a minutes to find what I think you need.

Get in contact with a promoter so you can get applications for the shows you would like to get into.

http://www.stepbysteppromotions.com/

Also found this, with a list of shows.
http://www.artscraftsshowbusiness.co....aspx?state=IL

Good luck, there's money to be made, we did it and came home with $5k a weekend but your working your ass off all week making product to sell.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women