Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sthil trimmers are too heavy to be considered by me also.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
They run great at first until the cam pins wear in the cover and in the engine block and then it's shortblock time. Mine had the equivalent of one years solo use before it self destructed. Run fron Stihl. You would think they would at least use a $2.00 brass bushing in the block........no wait how can you sell new trimmers when things are actually easily repairable? It's pretty sad when the new trimmer is fit for the garbage can and the eight year old Shindaiwa T270 is still is kicking butt.
I am going to drop $25.00 for a new cam and cover and JB weld the block side pin back in, maybe I can buy a year. New short block prices at $155.00 before labor.
Must been operator fault Im on 4th year on 2 and 3rd year on 1

you have pics of damage I like to see
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
I think a lot of you guys that have 4-mix trimmers that last more than a year must not run them very hard. I tried a fs100rx and it didn't last more than six months, we burned up the clutch and it needed a short block after six months so I trashed it. Now I run all stihl fs250r's and they are bulletproof. Won't use another trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
The FS 250 is one of the best trimmers ever made and light but if you ever want to get one that will not quit try the 350 or bigger shins but they are heavy.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't understand the 4 mix trimmers, it just sounds like fail from the beginning. B&S, honda, and others have the right idea with an any angle sump. I've used a 4 mix pole pruner, and can honestly say with how temperamental it is, I would never buy one. my B&S isn't very old, but it starts and runs reliably every time. the stihl doesn't seem to be run hard, and seems new enough, so I don't think it's worn out, just a bad design.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

The truly sad thing is that the new equipment doesn't last as long as the old equipment. It use to the case that companies brought improvements with newer equipment. Now days all they seem to care about is making them cheaper and more profitable. The older US made Stihl equipment was unbeatable.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Stihl is just like any other brand. You're going to have lovers and haters. I have 3 pieces of 4 Mix here and all of them have been very good so far. I have 2 BR600s and a FC90. I'd buy their trimmers but they're too heavy for my liking. I use Kawasaki trimmers and a Stihl FS80. I like the Kawasaki trimmers so much I'm going to keep buying them as long as they make them. To me they are a good replacement for the Shindy T-230 that's no longer made. The Kawi is about the same weight but has more power.
I bought a Kawi 323 trimmer about a month ago and I love it...it's so light and has sufficient power for light to medium duty trimming. It even starts easily (1 to 2 pulls most of the time) and is ready to work immediately...kind of like my old Shindaiwa stuff was. I seem to going through a lot more line though...I'm used to a bigger/stiffer bump spring than the ones on the T-35 head. The other thing is that it seems to run kind of hot, or at least the unit is hot near where my right arm is. Overall though it's a keeper.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
I don't understand the 4 mix trimmers, it just sounds like fail from the beginning. B&S, honda, and others have the right idea with an any angle sump. I've used a 4 mix pole pruner, and can honestly say with how temperamental it is, I would never buy one. my B&S isn't very old, but it starts and runs reliably every time. the stihl doesn't seem to be run hard, and seems new enough, so I don't think it's worn out, just a bad design.
If you look at Stihl's 4mix design over the new Shindaiwa design, it's a night and day difference.

The Shindaiwa I feel has the better over-all 4mix design I've seen so far. It's all about the path of the fuel and I think that's the biggest issue with the Stihl.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry, I meant dolmar, not shindaiwa. dolmar, honda, and briggs and stratton all have it right. why would you go to all the trouble of building a 4 stroke engine just to make it use mixed gas? if you're going to build a 4 stroke, give it a proper sump.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=B&SFTW;4491713.... if you're going to build a 4 stroke, give it a proper sump.[/QUOTE]

Sump lubrication vs. vapor lubrication.

Funny that many speak well of 2 cycles, and want to buy them, all with vapor lube. But, when vapor lube is used with a 4 cycle design, suddenly vapor is not right, but sump should be used. Sorry, this inconsistency does not make sense.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been running Sthil hand helds for 15 years without any major problems. Currently have 4 FS90'S 4mix and they are 3-4 years old and are used 40hrs a week and have not had any issues.