Register free!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Looks like that mower has a maximum height of cut of 1.25". Are you okay with that?
Didn't know that...I would pass then...IMO, empire looks best at 1.5-1.75".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that anything over 7 blades on a reel is no good for zoysia. Even the 10 blade McLane and Tru-Cut that people buy thinking more is better proves to be otherwise. 10 blade mowers are for bent grass or bermuda maintained at less than 1/2".

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
yep, 1.25 if the max but will1/4" less make that much difference? I checked it out, runs good and has a spare set of new blades, 1050 hours and can be had for $600.
All that being said I don't want to cut too short no matter the deal !
Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
For the first dozen or so times I cut my Palisades zoysia (similar to Empire, I think) with my Jacobsen, I cut it at 7/8". The mower was set at that height when I bought it, and it's not a simple task to set the HOC. Yesterday, I raised it to 1.25" which is about what my Tru-Cut is set at, but I won't mow again until tomorrow. 7/8" didn't look bad, but I don't think it looked as good as 1.25". It looked like a lighter shade of green when cut at 7/8".

The guy that I bought the Jacobsen from was mowing at 7/8", but he has one of the fine-blade zoysias.
If any provision of this post is, for any reason, held to be invalid, incorrect, or indefensible, the other provisions of this post will be unimpaired and the invalid, incorrect, or indefensible provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid, correct, and defensible to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbpow View Post
yep, 1.25 if the max but will1/4" less make that much difference? I checked it out, runs good and has a spare set of new blades, 1050 hours and can be had for $600.
All that being said I don't want to cut too short no matter the deal !
Well, that would prob put you at 2x/wk cutting in growing season. I have 1 empire yard that gets cut at 1.75" 1x/wk. IMO, it should be cut 2x/wk, but the customer will def not pay for that...so yes, IMO...1.25 means more maintenance. Empire grows like crazy in the growing season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
For the first dozen or so times I cut my Palisades zoysia (similar to Empire, I think) with my Jacobsen, I cut it at 7/8". The mower was set at that height when I bought it, and it's not a simple task to set the HOC. Yesterday, I raised it to 1.25" which is about what my Tru-Cut is set at, but I won't mow again until tomorrow. 7/8" didn't look bad, but I don't think it looked as good as 1.25". It looked like a lighter shade of green when cut at 7/8".

The guy that I bought the Jacobsen from was mowing at 7/8", but he has one of the fine-blade zoysias.
Yup, big difference b/t fine bladed zoysias and larger bladed zoysias. Like I said in the previous post, I cut this empire yard 1x/wk and 1.75 looks the best. I need to renovate this lawn, but it's not terrible. At 1.5" I scalp some areas. Again though, it's bc I'm cutting 1x/wk. if I could cut 2x/wk, I'd be at 1-1.25". I cut a diamond zoysia lawn at .75" and it is gorgeous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I cancelled the deal after I made some measurements with the Fiskar push mower. 1.5 to 1.75 is really nice. 1.25 is a bit low and it needs to be really flat though it looks OK.. I'll keep looking. Probably I'll head down to Uncle Brill in the next day or so.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I cancelled the deal after I made some measurements with the Fiskar push mower. 1.5 to 1.75 is really nice. 1.25 is a bit low and it needs to be really flat though it looks OK.. I'll keep looking. Probably I'll head down to Uncle Brill in the next day or so.
Yup...like I said if you cut 2x/wk, 1.25" would work great. Who the hell wants to do that though on their own lawn?? Yea, uncle Bims is great. They really care about the customer. Most shops around here don't give a ****.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Uh, oh. Uncle Bim. Dunno where I got the Brill from.
I will go on your recommendation. I can get a Tru Cut mower from several places but customer service is foremost as far as I am concerned so Bim gets the nod.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Uh, oh. Uncle Bim. Dunno where I got the Brill from.
I will go on your recommendation. I can get a Tru Cut mower from several places but customer service is foremost as far as I am concerned so Bim gets the nod.
Yup, like I said, they value thier customers. Talk to Jeff who does the reels, guy knows his stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device