Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

walk behind string trimmer eating string

hi, my brother bought a walk behind string trimmer from TSC 2 weeks ago. he says the string won't stay on for more than three minutes. is it breaking or being flung off? i used it to string trim around my firewood stacks that are put up on skids. was extra careful to just tickle the skids. hit one that was sticking out about 1 inch and puff, both strings gone and couldn't find any trace of a scrap of the string to see if they broke or came undone and got thrown off. any suggestions from you experts to keep string on for a long time?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How old is the line you guys are using? if it's more than a couple months old, soak it in water for 24 hours or a bit more (the entire spool). It makes the line softer and more pliable, and less prone to breakage. Try to trim with just the end of the line too. If you're not paying attention, it's too easy to just run the line too far into stuff and have it start snapping off with a WB trimmer like he bought. Last, check the eyes where the line comes through the head and out. If they're rough, they'll also cause trouble,