Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The purpose of posting this picture was the smaller size and versatility of that size. Most larger companies will have a shrub trim crew. The Idea of this smaller unit is to get in and out of a Mow & Go quickly. This truck's tail gate wasn't spring loaded but Mine would be. I would also have better Weed Eater racks etc. Anything to make the job easier & quicker.

IMHO in today's economy Mow & Go can be 3 times more profitable than Full service. Down side is Customer loyality and possible slower pay. However Most all my working class customers pay quicker than the upscale customer.
That would be the proper use Ric. Residental units do not bring full income IMHO so you have to look at options.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

The specs on my 06 f350 DRW is 5800 payload
Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I never said this was the Ideal equipment for your operation. But don't knock a man's set up until you have Mowed a mile in his shoes.

As far as your Market goes, This might be a viable method on some parts of Venice Island with the busier streets. At one time I insisted on doing only 1st class work. But after many years in this business I became more Pragmatic and learning Primo work takes primo time and expense that Primo Customer won't pay full price for. There is more money and less loyalty in Mow & Go work.

very true about mow and go--I like the regular work associated with this and growing your business si not as difficult due to lesser skill requirements--the market here for high end homes is good, full service, but everyone is looking for a deal and it is ever so much more competative with every guy with a pickup offering service--also notice every guy who works for a company, goes out on the weekends as well-as well as construction guys...
commercial--not many will pay high prices...too competative-
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
very true about mow and go--I like the regular work associated with this and growing your business si not as difficult due to lesser skill requirements--the market here for high end homes is good, full service, but everyone is looking for a deal and it is ever so much more competative with every guy with a pickup offering service--also notice every guy who works for a company, goes out on the weekends as well-as well as construction guys...
commercial--not many will pay high prices...too competative-
Week End

Mow & Go customers are not going to call you back because you missed a weed. We are talking a totally different attitude and Expectation by the customer.

Quick Story, I got a call today for inside Pest control by the House watcher. I did this house maybe 6 or 8 months ago. These people have a condo in Dubai as well as other homes around the world. But this house had a Porsch sedan, Lexus and Electric Smart car parked in the garage that is bigger than my house. BTW they have not been in town this March. When I finished treating the house I ask how the homeowner wanted to pay. Why the Charge the House watcher ask. The Homeowner told them the first $ 75 I charge them 1/2 a year ago was for a whole year service guarantee. The richer they are the more out of touch with working people and their prices IMHO.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Week End

Mow & Go customers are not going to call you back because you missed a weed. We are talking a totally different attitude and Expectation by the customer.

Quick Story, I got a call today for inside Pest control by the House watcher. I did this house maybe 6 or 8 months ago. These people have a condo in Dubai as well as other homes around the world. But this house had a Porsch sedan, Lexus and Electric Smart car parked in the garage that is bigger than my house. BTW they have not been in town this March. When I finished treating the house I ask how the homeowner wanted to pay. Why the Charge the House watcher ask. The Homeowner told them the first $ 75 I charge them 1/2 a year ago was for a whole year service guarantee. The richer they are the more out of touch with working people and their prices IMHO.

I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.
For Years I chased the PITA customers who wanted the perfect yard. I spend a small fortune on chemicals and I have a barn full of different chemicals. While I was charging Top Dollar I was also spending Top Dollar for all the BEST products. I recognize now that part of the Perfect work syndrome was my Ego talking. I think that is human nature to want to be competitive.

Today I am spraying Arena on a few yards at a Cost of $ 4.50 a thousand. For that same $ 4.50 I can kill an acre of Fire Ants and have 10 time less hassle with the customer. I still have More L&O than Ants customer but I am working at getting out of L&O and just doing Ants or My Mow & Go as a CPO. I keep the same amount of Money from each Ants customer as I do from an L&O customer, only I charge the Ant customer a lot less. Oh and Ant Spraying takes less time and is IMHO easier. I could go on about L&O I use a big Cab Over and Ants I only use a pick up truck and the related costs etc etc. But Bottom line is I am a Mow & Go guy now and proud of it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Week End

I musthave not clarified....we focus on HOA, commercial, hotels etc, full serivice...but we cut our teeth for about 15-18 years on residential mow and go (mostly older folks)...now, besides our commercial, we do about 100 residential homes and my main focus is on the professional customer who is tech oriented and likes to use email --hence most customers don't ever see our guys, when the yare there doing residential...we are in and out in 10-15 minutes, no hassle--
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Del----- Someone told me that a f350 will old 3000lbs. If you have a zero turn like mine at 1400lbs and all the eqipment you need to get the job done Weed eater,gas,egders ect. It can get kinda heavy . If i could fit 2 of my mowers on my f350 that would be great.
One of my trucks is a 2000 f350 dually. The bed is wide enough that I fit a 36 stander, 52 stander, next to each other. 61 scag v-ride behind them. 3 blowers, 2 edgers, 2 whips, 2 hedge sheers all on racks on the body. It works well for us, but my next one will be a van body with an enclosed box. I hate when my stuff gets wet. This year I did ad 2 leaf springs to each side, along with re arching the originals. And added heavier shocks with springs over them. Thought it would help it handle better. (it didn't) and now it's about 4 inches higher in the back......so the tailgate is steeper. I spray the tailgate with the spray bedliner stuff on it twice a year so it keeps the grip.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

here was one that looked a little better --mow and go--one guy, one yard 30 minutes...$35 bucks...prob. no taxes or insurance...but this is the competition-
Attached Images

2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

looks like somebody is asking to get their blowers yanked..