Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

how well do the flyers and door hangers really do?

Hey guys thanks for looking! I am looking to get out on my own hopefully full time this year, I have been in the business for 10 years now so having experience and providing quality is no issue for me but the getting clients part could be! I just got my first hat and tee shirt made along with 1000 flyers and 500 door hangers I am really planning to hit the streets hard this upcoming week going door to door is it crazy to expect to get one yard for every 30-50 flyers I hand out? I also plan on starting out charging a rate of 30-40 dollars an hour depending on the yard is this too much starting out? Thanks any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where is jamestown? I had in business in Simi Valley/ Thousand oaks in the early 1990s. If I got a lilltle slow Id passout flyers on a street that I was doing some work on. That seemed at the time to work very well.
Here in Alabama Ive had almost 0 success with flyers, however it still helps promote your name year in and year out.

Last edited by larryinalabama; 08-07-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ya know this is a GREAT Question.....

When I started in a NEW area. I passed out flyers when I had nothing to do.

got some calls from them, really didn't keep stats on it. But a lady called me several years after I did this. and she said she had one of my flyers. and when I got there, I be Dammed, she DID !!!!

she had to of had this flyer for 2 years at least, this really BLEW my mind.

Also: From time to time we pass them out in areas where we need to build up more customers.

best of luck to you
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so far flyers/postcards have been a waste of money for me. i have only mailed out 500 postcards the past month, but i thought i'd get a call or 2.. nothing. 3 months and no calls, no estimates done. lol. i've done alot of word by mouth, which i was suprised that a few of my friends and co-workers wouldn't give me a chance and switch from tru-green to me, or from scotts to me.. lol. they don't even know i do good work. i'm doing something wrong.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

well I am not mailing the flyers out I am going to go door to door preety seriously going to try and hit 750 houses over the course of a week. I think its one thing to give somebody a flyer to view but its another to give it to someone face to face in person cause then you get to talking about the business even if the customer is not interested in the product you are trying to sale them. I hope all goes well thank you guys!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

also what would be the best thing to say? I was thinking something quick and easy like "Hi I have a few accounts in the area and am just looking to get a few more here is my flyer please contact me if you are interested in any of my services."
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

keep us posted on how it goes. 750 sure is alot.. i work another job, so its hard to get out to that many every week, mailing them was so much easier and faster... not to mention, i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to knocking on a door to sell something to somebody out of the blue.. i guess i kinda respect peoples privacy, because i get kinda annoyed when people knock on my door like that... anyway, i wish you the best of luck with it, and i hope you pick up alot of new clients.. keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
well I am not mailing the flyers out I am going to go door to door preety seriously going to try and hit 750 houses over the course of a week. I think its one thing to give somebody a flyer to view but its another to give it to someone face to face in person cause then you get to talking about the business even if the customer is not interested in the product you are trying to sale them. I hope all goes well thank you guys!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds great..

Quote:
also what would be the best thing to say? I was thinking something quick and easy like "Hi I have a few accounts in the area and am just looking to get a few more here is my flyer please contact me if you are interested in any of my services."
Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS.

Most citys have laws about this. Most of the time " ALL CITYS I KNOW OF "

you CANT do this with out a permit....

and MOST will have you jailed for knocking on doors.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

really? i mean, i know in my city we are "supposed" to have a canvasing permit.. and you have to wear a badge. (all laminated and what-not, so you look legit..) but most people here usually go without the canvasing permit. unless its a larger company like a garbage service, local paper.. etc.. sending out people, then they would usually have the badge. If somebody actually called the police, i would assume the cops would ask you to leave.

you have a good point though, IMO.. better safe, than sorry. and if you go about things the right way, people might take note and it my win you some extra brownie points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS.

Most citys have laws about this. Most of the time " ALL CITYS I KNOW OF "

you CANT do this with out a permit....

and MOST will have you jailed for knocking on doors.