Register free!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This forum isnt too popular..

I was wondering who you guys order your 1 gallon containers from. I dont know how many responses I will get considering I never see any activity on here, but any help would be appreciated. I am going for the cheapest too by the way. Thanks
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

70 views and no responses? Is this a trade secret? I have tried calling some larger nurseries in town and asked them if they had any old pots that they would sell me and it seems that most of them are accepting them back from us for a deposit. I have looked online and I cant seem to find them for less than .50 cents or so. Seems a little steep for me. Just looking for some suggestions. Happy Easter to all of you
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by upkeeplawnscape View Post
I was wondering who you guys order your 1 gallon containers from. I dont know how many responses I will get considering I never see any activity on here, but any help would be appreciated. I am going for the cheapest too by the way. Thanks
I am based in Venice, send me a pm if you wish I believe I can locate what your shopping for. Happy Easter.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-08-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Upkeep

I am assuming you mean one gallon plants not just the empty containers. Used one gallons container normally go for $ 0.10 each. New ones run $ 0.30 to $ 0.40 each.

If you need a Hundred or more one gallon Plants I can help you. Any thing less isn't profitable for me. I had a Nursery before Hurricane Charlie blew it away and I still have most of my connections. Many growers went out of Business with the Housing slump of 2008. My biggest One Gallon guy in Homestead was shut down by the EPA. He has reopened in an other location, but at 1/10 the production level of the good times.

If you are buying enough stock, you may want to check on a Wholesale Plant Dealers License. The closest Regional Ag licensing office to you is in Punta Gorda at the Corner of Marion & Bal Harbor. BTW there are only 5 or 6 offices for the whole state. You might also want to buy a subscription to BedRock.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric and Easy lift..I was looking to order about 100 pots only. The plant material I can supply myself. Thought that I would make a go of propagating some of my more popular materials. I already have a wholesale only nursery up here that I deal with,and they have been charging a 5 cent deposit so I cant buy any from them. I guess if I can find the 10c a pot deal for used then I would do that.
Easy lift, you have a few good nurseries for wholesale down in the Ft. Myers area that I have often thought of shooting down there to pick up a few hundred dollars worth of material. D. Johnson Nursery in Flagler Beach?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Ric and Easy lift..I was looking to order about 100 pots only. The plant material I can supply myself. Thought that I would make a go of propagating some of my more popular materials. I already have a wholesale only nursery up here that I deal with,and they have been charging a 5 cent deposit so I cant buy any from them. I guess if I can find the 10c a pot deal for used then I would do that.
Easy lift, you have a few good nurseries for wholesale down in the Ft. Myers area that I have often thought of shooting down there to pick up a few hundred dollars worth of material. D. Johnson Nursery in Flagler Beach?
UpKeep

Yes $ 0.05 is what I paid landscapers for one gallon pots and then hauled them back to the grower for a $ 0.10 credit off my next purchase.

I used 1/2 inch tub grinding from the local horticulture recycling dump. 1/2 drain where the 3/8 tub grinding are too fine. But the big trick is to have a mist house. It doesn't have to be fancy. The timer is the most expensive thing. A good water filter is nice to have so you don't spend too much time cleaning misters nozzles. I like about a 40% shade cloth. I found Cloning is the best method and gives a real jump start over Seed. Of course a good DNA mother plant is most important.

I also suggest specializing in one variety to start with. Of course you may want to try several and stick with the ones you have the most success with. By using one gallons you skip the Labor of Liner trays but take up more room in the Mist House. Mann Rivera on the East coast had one of the largest cloning operations and he went straight into One gallons, Of course he also had huge mist houses as in many and big.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
I would suggest to visit the FNGA website to find other growers and suppliers at this point. Not sure about the name of the D. Johnson Nursery, however I am pretty sure Flagler beach is on the East coast not the West coast.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

try mortonproducts.com
haven't bought any yet, buy 1 gallon pots are $.21 each if you buy 100 if i remember correctly

Last edited by PappyQ; 08-09-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: mispelled word