Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Sponsor

If you choose to try door hangers Check out A'Deas Printing. We have some great specials right now on those.. If door hanging isn't your thing.. you can always try direct mail.. At A'Deas we can help you create a mailing list and help you pin point the areas you are wanting to target.. our website is www.adeasprinting.com or feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call for more info! My name is Glenda, my email is glenda@adeasprinting.com or my number is 1-866-778-4254.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS.

Most citys have laws about this. Most of the time " ALL CITYS I KNOW OF "

you CANT do this with out a permit....

and MOST will have you jailed for knocking on doors.
I have never, ever known anyone, ever, to get a permit to go door-to-door. I couldnt tell you if my area needs one or not. I can tell you that I live and work in one of the most bureaucratic, red-tape, boot licking counties in the nation, and you would have to start your conversation by punching someone in the face before they called the law for you being at their door. Now, Im not saying most of them wont tell you to 'bugger off' using some colorful language, but I really cant imagine the police coming out for this.

On that note, I will be flier dropping next Jan - April but doubt I will knock on any doors. If I see the homeowner outside, sure, shake a hand. If not, I'll simply leave the flier on the door and move on.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say Flyers are the best low cost method but the actual return is low.

If you want 20 customers you better plan on 30 to 40K flyers.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Huh? Did I read that correctly? 2000 fliers to get 1 customer. Woah, I would have never mowed my first lawn if that were the case in my area. In years past on small to 1/3 acre suburban lawns, I could pickup customers at 1% return, not undercutting the competition.

Where do you live that affords you that many homes to market with such a low return rate?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried postcards and door hangers when I first started my business, spent a lot on getting them, postage, gas, labor, would not bother with it again.

I think most do like I do, postcard in the mailbox, goes in the trash without even looking at it, door hanger on the door when I get home, also goes in the trash without even looking at it. Spam in my email, trash, banners popping up ON LAWNSITE, closed without even looking to see what they are. We are ALL overloaded with advertisements trying to get your business, so we tend to ignor them.

I am at the point now where I am growing good by word of mouth, but it took years of hard work and happy customers to get here. Good luck with whatever you do.
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, 300 gallon Split Tank, D30 Pump, Honda 5.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500, 100 gallon tank, Pumptec 12v Pump
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAMowing View Post
Huh? Did I read that correctly? 2000 fliers to get 1 customer. Woah, I would have never mowed my first lawn if that were the case in my area. In years past on small to 1/3 acre suburban lawns, I could pickup customers at 1% return, not undercutting the competition.

Where do you live that affords you that many homes to market with such a low return rate?
I have have not see a great deal of return on flyers.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
I tried postcards and door hangers when I first started my business, spent a lot on getting them, postage, gas, labor, would not bother with it again.

I think most do like I do, postcard in the mailbox, goes in the trash without even looking at it, door hanger on the door when I get home, also goes in the trash without even looking at it. Spam in my email, trash, banners popping up ON LAWNSITE, closed without even looking to see what they are. We are ALL overloaded with advertisements trying to get your business, so we tend to ignor them.

I am at the point now where I am growing good by word of mouth, but it took years of hard work and happy customers to get here. Good luck with whatever you do.
Word of Mouth, solid internet presence, visability in the neighborhood.

It is expensive but highly targeted personalized mailings get a good return IMHO.

I am sure flyers do work. There are so many of them that you have to do something to make them stick.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best thing to do at this stage of your business IMO is to get some NICE fliers made and campaign to the 4-5 neighbors of the current yards you mow. Every time you cut, go to the house on either side, and the 2 or 3 across the street. If you are in a cul de sac (sp) hit up the whole thing. Oh and dont just put the flyer out, actually knock on there door and say something simple like "Hey I was cutting your neighbor's yard and wanted to take the opportunity to talk to you while I was here"

This is what I did when I was pressure washing and it had great results.

Good luck
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
Hey guys thanks for looking! I am looking to get out on my own hopefully full time this year, I have been in the business for 10 years now so having experience and providing quality is no issue for me but the getting clients part could be! I just got my first hat and tee shirt made along with 1000 flyers and 500 door hangers I am really planning to hit the streets hard this upcoming week going door to door is it crazy to expect to get one yard for every 30-50 flyers I hand out? I also plan on starting out charging a rate of 30-40 dollars an hour depending on the yard is this too much starting out? Thanks any advice would be appreciated.
start a lawn biz at the end of the summer, thats a brilliant idea! after 10 years of being in the business this is your idea? keep working for the man instead of trying to be the man!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't had any luck with fliers at all!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"