Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Usually I average 1 truly full service account per every 15-20 accounts or so... The rest fall somewhere between a once-a-month mow-and-blow and all the in between, sure the actual figure may vary some but the reality is that most customers won't (or can't) go full service, no matter what they say I found out you might turn one or the other customer into full service but I don't foresee bigger changes other than some customers will start to fly the coop and in the end you will probably see, as I saw, that even the $200 a year accounts are worth keeping so long they pay on time and all of that... I done been down that road of trying to get everyone to go this way or that, and you are certainly more than welcome to try your best but at least for this kid it was a big waste of my time thou I did learn a lot, that I did.
I am tending to agree with this. Also believe that your "full" service accounts are going to expect more. Which is fine, you want to sell quality, dependability and stuff. Just know those customers are willing to pay but also expect.

I have seen relatively cheap clients with weedy yards, trying to skip mows and stuff turn in to nit pickers when I rolled in a squirt and fert program for a low monthly price. I did it cause I was wanting to get rid of the weeds.

It was one of my experiments, use Primo to slow growth, kill weeds and fert the lawn for a relatively low price to up sell a bi-weekly account. It took about 2 months for them to get picky. Not every client is that way.

My main goal for going full service is to get the squirt and fert / reduce the weeds we have to mow.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a great point.

Jim, I like your idea of several levels of service packages for the customer to choose from. I have contract agreements but that are customize by the client somewhat but the package idea would really help streamline things.

JRS, maybe I've asked before, but what area of Maine are you in? I'm glad to see this method has worked out well for you.

I know for a fact that at least half of my customers could not afford a full maint service contract.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and does anyone add in de-thatching or aeration into the package or is that sold separately?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Oh, and does anyone add in de-thatching or aeration into the package or is that sold separately?
I think you add it if they want it. It should be included if you have the means to provide the service.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

versatility is the name of this game.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I know for a fact that at least half of my customers could not afford a full maint service contract.
Right, and some customers when approached about this will fiercely resist any upgrade, I've had folks balk at the idea of paying $50 for a fairly massive leaf cleanup (and I mean they balked), what can you do?

You don't want to kick those to the curb, I used to think it wouldn't matter but later found out much to my surprise... Some of those low-end accounts happen to be in cahoots with one of my high-end ones and I would have never guessed, some of the most unlikely folks are friends or co-workers with someone else and I'd kick one to the curb then I'd end up losing two or three...

That happened to me more than once, until I learned.

Nothing wrong with suggesting an upgrade and having all the levels and all of that, but ultimately I find we have to let the customer decide and we have to accept and respect their answers even if it's no, and certainly a few will upgrade, some a little, one or two maybe a lot, the rest will likely do little...

It is not a waste of time, but the results may be a bit on the unexpected side and we have to accept whatever comes of it.
At least that was my experience, but so much choice in the matter.

On the good side...
The customer that balked at the leaf clean up ended up doing it themselves...
Which is fine by me, you have to understand that at least it got the idea across that it needed to be done because I was NOT going to deal with a massive leaf cleanup come spring and at no extra cost... Of course I needed the money but more than anything so long the leaves got cleaned up, everybody was happy.
So it can, and does accomplish things.
However, the results may be a bit on the unexpected side.

Last edited by herler; 08-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim what is your web site?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Full service customers do expect more out of you and sometimes it can be a pain. Make sure you have all the proper license's and permits to do all especially if your taking work away from someone who does.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwaterlandscaping View Post
Jim what is your web site?
Posted via Mobile Device
The link is right underneath my name.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We always sell that as a separate item. There are a few things that we don't automatically include in any of our packages for various reasons. Sprinkler winterization and start-up, aerating, de-thatching, and bark mulch.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon