Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dump truck or dump trailer?

I would like some opinions from business owners who already bought both of these over the years, new or used.

Of course every business is different and the use of the trucks is always different, but from a general point of view I want advise and opinions on both of these.

What last longer? A f350-f450 dully, diesel with a 11 feet dumb box, or a standard double axle 6-10feet dump trailer.

- I know that the truck will depreciated faster then the trailer.
- Having a dump truck is probably easier for travel, for backing up etc.

I want opinions on whether or not I should be buying (used) dump truck or buy a new truck + dump trailer.

If anyone has run both of these equipment in their business, can you provide the advantage and disadvantage of both?

Thanks
Complete lawn care services
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As you said,depends on what your doing. I like my dump trailer ,less maintenance on it.lower insurance for it cost less can carry more.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Can you give more info about your business, typical load sizes and what will be hauled on it primarily.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I liked my dump trailer so much i now have 3 2 12' 1 10'
The 12' have box between the axles the 10s box is over the axles .
The problem is i was pulling the trailer every day .
I bought a ford lcf 450 16000 gvw .
It is nice to have both .
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
I liked my dump trailer so much i now have 3 2 12' 1 10'
The 12' have box between the axles the 10s box is over the axles .
The problem is i was pulling the trailer every day .
I bought a ford lcf 450 16000 gvw .
It is nice to have both .
Whats the empty weight of your LCF? Just curious.

The only truck larger than a pickup I've had was a F450 4x4 V10. With a GVWR of 15K it only had a legal capacity of under 3 tons. I have had 2 EZ Dumpers in 3/4ton dodge cummins pickups. A ton and you're done in those.

The 14' 14kGVWR dump trailer I have now gets used way more and handles 5.5 ton legally no problem. I can put smallish mini excavators and smaller skid steers in it easily. It's easier to get in and out of. I rent it out to trusted individuals regularly. Its like $350 a year in insurance with full coverage. I can pull it with trucks that fit in my garage for maintenance and repair. In short, I love it.

OTOH, if I was doing max loads of soil or stone every day, I would prefer a 550 or larger dump truck.

Depende on what you're doing.
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250
Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love my dump trailer. When its not in use, makes for a great dumpster at my yard. We did a large tearout at a high school, it was nice to be able to leave the trailer onsite. My trailer is a gooseneck 18ft big tex dual tandem,I can legally carry 18k pnds in it. I would need a fairly large dump truck to compete with that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure having a f450 or bigger dump truck with a dump trailer would be the perfect combo, you can haul the scrap dirt in the dump truck and the good soil in the dump trailer.

I usually carry stone dust, gravel, soil, trees, interlock etc. I know I won't be able to haul as much asphalt as I want. Considering the asphalt is far more dense then anything I have ever loaded before. Last time I rented a dump trailer to carry 2.5 tons of asphalt. The trailer was prob 8 feet long, it was a tiny pile of asphalt in the middle of the trailer. (The trailer looked almost empty with this tiny pile) But it was almost 10k pounds of asphalt.

I think I need a dump truck anyways, I know I can't haul as much with it but it's so versatile, even if it's just to carry 1 yard of gravel it will still be useful. Even if I buy a dump trailer, I won't have anything to carry it. My 2003 dodge Ram 1500 is getting to a point where it needs a break from all that hard work and towing.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you only have a 1500, then I would go with a dump truck.

In my situation, my first truck was an S-10 and had an old F-350 C&C dump truck. The dump did all my dirty work hauling a little over a ton of material and had a plow, so ultimately it was my plow truck.

Now I have an F-150, 10K equipment trailer and C3500HD dump. With the dump and trailer combo, I can haul my mini skid and a 3.25 ton load of material around when I need to. Nice to be able to haul the equipment and material at the same time.

The dump also is used to plow large commercial lots and a few driveways. On top of it, I can haul bulk salt with an under-tailgate salt spreader.

In all honesty though, I might get a dump trailer at some point. It's nice to do light work and just pull the trailer around with the F-150, but a pain to unload brush and debris by hand off the equipment trailer.

So, ultimately you have to decide what works best for your business model.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I have a 16 Feet flat bed trailer, it's nice to stack it with lots of branches, lots of space for that. But when it comes to carrying 3-4 tons of gravel or other materiel and having to unload it with a shovel, it's literally doing the work twice. Even a small dump truck with a 11 foot box, even if I need to do 2 trips instead of 1, at least I can just press the button and here we go, unload by itself, such a time saver.

Also with a bigger truck like a f350, it will be a huge upgrade to the tiny 1500, I can haul more without worrying about the back of the truck being crushed down.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go dump truck for sure. I would not bother looking at 450 or 550's. I would take a look at international 4000 series, we have 3 86,92,98. Cheaper to buy,maintain, pto pump(huge plus) and be able to haul load plus pull a trailer.

I have always been 100% landscape and excavating, wish someone would have gave me this advice earlier on in my career.

Good luck