Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Does the roof cleaning industry harm the roofing industry?

I doubt it affects it adversely, if both the professional roofing contractor and the professional roof cleaning contractor are honest and fair with the homeowner.
My point being:
1. I consider myself an honest roof cleaner. So, if I am asked to clean a roof, that I [after over 20 years experience] feel is a better candidate for replacement, I tell the homeowner so and recommend a local roofing contractor to them.

2. If a roofing contractor is asked about roof replacement and he recognizes that the roof is not in need of replacement, then he would recommend to the homeowner, that it really just needs to be cleaned, not replaced and have the name of a reputable roof cleaner, who cleans roofs according to the roofing manufacturer's specifications. They can network back and forth that way.
So, no, if both are honest, neither will have an adverse affect on the other business.

I know that roofing contractors have to have training and licensing by the state [here in Florida]
Roof cleaning is not the same. But there are places to learn proper roof cleaning and to gain "certification" such as The Roof Cleaning Institute Of America. I am a certified roof cleaner myself from the RCIA. But, I had already used this gentle roof cleaning method, since 1991 and was certified in 2009.
Below is some pretty clear info on how to clean roofing and how not to use a pressure device, such as a pressure washer, cement surface cleaning machine, pitch witch or even a broom!
They suggest cleaning roofs chemically, not blasting the dirt and algae off, along with the shingle granules, paint or glazing on some tile or blowing the cement holding the tile ridge caps in place.

From ARMA roofing manufacturers Association-how to clean roofing.
http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Below is a partial excerpt cut and pasted below from ARMA:
Algae discolorations to remove from roofing surfaces, applying a solution of chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, {TSP}and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water. First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules. Caution! High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing Manufacturers say
the same thing:
"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Corning info in link below.
http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/g...ge_id=36077811

This one, from the ARMA, says not to allow anyone to apply any

*after coating*

such as Algae-cides, Fungicides, zinc, copper, or other treatments - not anything!
http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_227.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by Bergman Pressure Cleaning; 08-12-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: picture mixup
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did my first roof cleaning job two days ago. It was fun for me doing something different from landscaping. The roof was covered with moss and streaks. I used a powdered solution and brush the roof wet with a brush and washed it all offf. Turned out great. Profits were good on that job. I can see myself trying to do some more roof jobs if they come around. Would like to learn more about this work for future work.

Tags
33981 , power washing , pressure wash , roof cleaning , roofing