Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Things are looking up! Yesterday, I had to double cut one lawn, at least a piece of it. Today, I was out over 11 hours, the first time in many weeks. It was a good, productive day, without any problems, and lots of grass to cut.

Part of the last job today needed bagging, and I see two scheduled for the morning that will also need partially bagged.

Need more rain to keep it going, though. A dry August will leave us with poor start to the Fall season.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Things are looking up! Yesterday, I had to double cut one lawn, at least a piece of it. Today, I was out over 11 hours, the first time in many weeks. It was a good, productive day, without any problems, and lots of grass to cut.

Part of the last job today needed bagging, and I see two scheduled for the morning that will also need partially bagged.

Need more rain to keep it going, though. A dry August will leave us with poor start to the Fall season.
Absolutely.

I cut a bunch of biweeklies over the last two days and it looked like spring growth.

Still a lot of damaged lawns though.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now that mowing schedules are back at full-throttle, why is this time for people to start asking for odd jobs to be done? Two, three weeks ago, ... home early every day, lot of extra time. Now, full-bore with mowing, and "Roger, ... when you have some time, could you ....?" None of these jobs are time-dependent, and could have been done when mowing was slack.

Grrrrr...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Now that mowing schedules are back at full-throttle, why is this time for people to start asking for odd jobs to be done? Two, three weeks ago, ... home early every day, lot of extra time. Now, full-bore with mowing, and "Roger, ... when you have some time, could you ....?" None of these jobs are time-dependent, and could have been done when mowing was slack.

Grrrrr...

You must be my evil twin.

Same crap here.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe we are that far away from eachother but I have only skipped 2 lawns during this "drought". Maybe a total of 4 cutting skipped. None of my lawns have turned brown either, suprisingly lawns that were brown in past years were not this year. I am 25 minutes from oak nut. Maybe the storms just hit the right places. NOt to mention a majority of my lawns are not fertilized.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not much brown any more. Green every week.

Speaking of green. I hope to be getting more of it as a result of my freshly installed vinyl lettering...

I got hosed around by a few local sign places, so said screw it, and I ordered it online and installed it myself today. (Sun)

Feels good to finally have it done. I'm going to do the side windows too - I just wanted to be sure the color I chose was a good match before plunking down more money.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good oaknut! You should have checked out quick signs. They were great
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak406 View Post
Maybe we are that far away from eachother but I have only skipped 2 lawns during this "drought". Maybe a total of 4 cutting skipped. None of my lawns have turned brown either, suprisingly lawns that were brown in past years were not this year. I am 25 minutes from oak nut. Maybe the storms just hit the right places. NOt to mention a majority of my lawns are not fertilized.
I lost lots of work in July, only billed out about half of what I should have billed out. The last two weeks have had a few skips, so certainly far from a full schedule again. Unless we get some new rain soon, this week will also have more skips.

I am glad to know you have survived this period well. Some of us have not do well at al.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been almost back at full schedule. Only skipped one last week (vacant house). Weve been getting rain at least once a week up here. These little storms keep hitting us. Not the same as july at all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am pretty much back to a full schedule, been so for the last 2 weeks. July was brutal for billing. Checks are coming in now and are half of what I usually get. There are five Thursdays and Wednesdays in august, which is when I mow a lot of yards. I am really pushing for 5 mows this month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
n'at!