Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Don't cheap out, change the filter with the oil. What's the point of running clean oil through a dirty filter. I also run 20w50 in this heat. I have a benchtop viscosity checker and the 10w30 didn't hold up well in summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
I do, I shouldn't have told him 200 on filter...20/50 huh...where did u get the viscosity gauge? I run 10-30 all year, but I know in this heat a thicker oil may be better. When do you change?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

We change our oil/filter often and use 20/50 this time of year. 10/40 or 30 in the cooler months and generally use a cheaper oil. I like the Valvoline racing oil personally. Also add some Lucas oil treatment year round.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I do, I shouldn't have told him 200 on filter...20/50 huh...where did u get the viscosity gauge? I run 10-30 all year, but I know in this heat a thicker oil may be better. When do you change?
Posted via Mobile Device
I was curious about a viscosity checker as well because I had never heard of one. After about thirty minutes of searching the net I was able to find some info on them. Turns out they don't exist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm currently running 11.25W35

I left the drain open and lost 1/2 quart of 10w30 before I noticed. The only other oil I had was some 15w50.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del9175 View Post
I was curious about a viscosity checker as well because I had never heard of one. After about thirty minutes of searching the net I was able to find some info on them. Turns out they don't exist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Learn how to use a search engine. Its a two vial falling ball viscometer. Mine is a military surplus from the 50's. One vial is filled with new oil, the other with used. Both balls are released at same time, when one reaches bottom the other is stopped. A scale tells you how it compares to the new. Small manual ones run 250 to several thousand for electronic models. I found mine at a garge sale. If you didn't know what it was you would look right past it. Its a fun gadget and shows how fast the heat wears down oil even with modern viscosity index improvers. I stick to 200hrs max.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del9175 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
You spent 30 minutes and didn't find anything? I looked for 30 seconds and found dozens
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I believe most manuals call for 100 hrs on the oil and 200 on filter. I would go with that. You will hear guys who change every 40-50 hours, which IMO is a waste of money. Same as the guys who change motor oil at 3-K miles....
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree. Always go with the manufacturers recommendation. While I am not a professional lawn guy I have had over 30 years experience with engines as an engineer in design and operations. When the engine is designed they figure in a safety factor so if you change your oil AND filter as recommended you'll be good. Most importantly you won't void your warranty. If push comes to shove I'd rather skip an oil change than a filter change. It's the dirt that damages the moving parts and the filter is your only defense against dirt.