Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed drought

Finally, occupants of this house where the lawn was seeded and trees planted April 26th...decided to water, perhaps for second time in 11 weeks.
However, the temp here is 100 degrees, and it looks to me like its too late for the trees. And perhaps for the grass, too. The crabgrass isn't doing too well, either.

The new house around the corner which is owner occupied is doing better, but he is still having a hard time keeping up with water. Seeded with a spreader by owner and his kids. Quackgrass and weeds getting a bit stronger. Not mowed yet. About 10 or 12 thousand sqft. Sandy.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New lawn at 12 weeks

A small amount of water was probably applied, mostly to water the trees, and a half-inch of rain fell about 3 days ago, but temps are still about 90 degrees...sandy soil. Looking carefully, you can see the crabgrass in the foreground is wilted, while the crab near the trees and downhill from the trees is green. New grass is barely visible, its brown.
Three of the four trees are visible, and will probably die. But rain is expected tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
A small amount of water was probably applied, mostly to water the trees, and a half-inch of rain fell about 3 days ago, but temps are still about 90 degrees...sandy soil. Looking carefully, you can see the crabgrass in the foreground is wilted, while the crab near the trees and downhill from the trees is green. New grass is barely visible, its brown.
Three of the four trees are visible, and will probably die. But rain is expected tomorrow.
Its crazy why people spend that kind of money and just let it go
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's time to call the guy and tell him to do it right this time... he'll have to plant the lawn for free becuz it didn't work the first time...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

new lawn at 13 weeks

We had two, half-inch rains in last 7 days. Temperatures are still mostly about 90 during the day.
New lawn has been mowed and looks lots better--until you realize this is about 99 percent crabgrass. Open hose box on right may mean that they watered it, or it may mean someone stole their hose.

Maple trees look slightly better.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We've been getting rain all around us for the past several weeks and nothing here...
That's a pretty expensive yard of CG...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New lawn at 15 weeks

The lawn at 15 weeks, after hydroseeding on April 26. Seldom watered. More than 90 percent crabgrass, I think.
Recent heavy rains and cooler temperatures have restored a bit of green. Trees look like they might survive.

Shrubs in stone mulch near house...two look dead.
Attached Images

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-15-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, lets put stone between the walk and the house, and then try to get something to grow in the little oven we just created! Just plant some plastic flowers.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
hey, lets put stone between the walk and the house, and then try to get something to grow in the little oven we just created! Just plant some plastic flowers.
Do it all the time. If you use well adpated plants for that purpose.
Yes there is a micro climate but you would have that anyway.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring Hydroseed at 16 weeks

I think those two dead shrubs near the house are mugo pines. Good rains in spring. Lawn irrigated about twice so far. Hot dry conditions for 8 weeks; then irregular rains. New house constructed on a vacant city lot...not much removal of old sandy soil...new soil not brought in.
We had a half inch of rain about 3 days ago. But warm dry conditions are expected. Hardly any new grass is visible. Crabgrass has been mowed by a cutting company. Four 3 inch diameter red maple trees look slightly better, but still in bad shape.
I am wondering if the new grass is just gone--or--if some of it may reappear as the crabgrass fades out in October. I am thinking ryegrass is not really suited to high temps and dry conditions.
Attached Images