Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Outdoor View Post
I've had a fence construction biz for about 12 years. Don't do the prefab panel thing. A fence is so much stronger and more attractive if you custom build it from wood components. When you install your posts, put them at approximately 7' 9" on centers. This will allow you to have 8' 2x4's evenly meeting on each post. Obviously, you will have to cut a little from each 2x4. Also, spring for western red cedar pickets rather than the pressure treated ones. The treated ones will (I repeat WILL) warp like crazy, no matter how well you attach them to the framework. Good luck with your project.
Im dealing with a company called Bell fence manufacturing ,they have locations along the gulf coast.I got quoted for culled cedar boards ..they said there's nothing wrong with them just didnt meet whatever specs they have and that they will look and work just fine.. They are a dollar cheaper than normal..he didn't specify what kind of cedar it was but I'll ask..they also have some boards made out if cypress that are cheaper then there cedar boards..while I know the durability of cypress I just never heard of using it fir fences?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooswa View Post
Not in my budget to do that. But other than that is there any reason I couldn't put the rails on the outside ?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think most people prefer the rails to the inside for aesthetic reasons. It give the home better curb appeal.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point .. But I only have one side of fence facing road so I will putthose rails inside..this is only about 30 feet of the fence I have to put in
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
I think most people prefer the rails to the inside for aesthetic reasons. It give the home better curb appeal.
I don't know where you live but here the municipal building codes are to put the ugly side (stringer side) in to not detract your neighbors view. The only way to some what cover it up is to do something semi privacy where the dog ear's are staggered on both sides.

Yes AC2 warps like crazy, I would follow the suggestions to go ceder, it'll be easier to work with like AC2 vs vinyl. I would use screws vs nails, if you need to replace a panel or take on out for any kind of service work, its easier. I've used Deckmate brand before on repairs and building fences with no problem of rusting and we get a ton of airborne salt spray. Leave the bottoms of the panels off the ground a little, prevents wicking moisture up out of the ground and prolong life of the panel. If your building alone don't use prefabbed panels, again harder to handle alone plus if you need a custom size other than 8ft such as 4.5ft easier to build. Prefab panels now, depending on manufacturer are stapled together vs nailed/screwed.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hadn't thought about local codes but it certainly would make sense. As for the screws, I'll second that. Try to find a source other than Lowes or HD though as they can get expensive.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I was also wondering about using metal poles instead of 4x4 posts? I had somebody suggest that to me and I never heard of it or seen it.. When I went to the place where I'm gonna wind up buying the material from they also suggested metal poles..this will cost me about 300 dollars more if I use them ...does anybody know about this?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Round poles? What would you cap them with? How would you attach wood to them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes round poles..they quoted me on caps which are I think the same one they use on a hurricane/Chain Link fence they will pre drill the holes for me and attach with lag screws or bolts..
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooswa View Post
I was also wondering about using metal poles instead of 4x4 posts? I had somebody suggest that to me and I never heard of it or seen it.. When I went to the place where I'm gonna wind up buying the material from they also suggested metal poles..this will cost me about 300 dollars more if I use them ...does anybody know about this?

You can use 2-3/8" metal posts, which are usually used for end posts on chain link fences. Simpson Strong-Tie makes some metal adapters to fasten the wood 2x4 cross members to the round posts. The metal posts eliminate the warping that is all too common with the treated 4x4's nowadays.