Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
"Practice" was another reason I didn't get a sulky yet. I wanted to get used to the thing beforehand.

Speaking of handling...

I'm wondering how well this thing would work with a sulky. Seems to me you'd want a machine that could be controlled fully without needing to remove your hands from the controls - speed up, slow down, etc...

The Ferris requires you to push/pull that cruise control bar to adjust speed. Once "set" all turning and reverse is done by squeezing the levers, but I think it would be rough trying to control it "at speed" while on a sulky.
I don't know though - I've never used one.
I also have a Ferris hydro (mine is a 52), I use a jungle wheels sulky on mine. I was a little wiery about the cruise control as well, after the first lawn I had it down an I wouldn't ever look back. Actually I have two sulkys now, only because if one loses a tire I can swap them out, not to long ago I had a flat so I switched sulkys, next day I broke the other ones tire. I knew how slow it would be without one, so I litteraly took off the other tire off so it could just slide. Once you use a sulky, you'll never look back. It took me plenty of time to buy my first one too but once I did I would never go without again. Just my two cents, I think you'll be real happy with your investment if you choose to go that route!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
There may be a few I'm forgetting, but I'd say about 12.
Last season was my first full season at lawn care and since I started with a 21" mower, all my lawns are sized accordingly.

This season I tried to take on only lawns that I could use the walk behind on. I passed over a lot of jobs this spring! I didn't spend all that money just to continue to bust my hump with a push mower.

So many of my lawns have hills and steep slopes, or irregular surfaces that are not "big deck" friendly. I'll weed them out in time as I take on larger, more profitable work that the walk behind is better suited for.
Right now I only take the trailer out on Mondays and Fridays.(and every other Tues)
The other days I do smaller lawns in the city and just take the 21" Toro SR4.
12 is a decent number of houses to start out with thats awesome. Ouch that must have been hard to pass over jobs because you know work is work haha, but using a push mower is definitely a tough thing to use all day. Well think about it, I personally would think that you would get the hang of it and love it!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoser's Lawncare View Post
I also have a Ferris hydro (mine is a 52), I use a jungle wheels sulky on mine. I was a little wiery about the cruise control as well, after the first lawn I had it down an I wouldn't ever look back. Actually I have two sulkys now, only because if one loses a tire I can swap them out, not to long ago I had a flat so I switched sulkys, next day I broke the other ones tire. I knew how slow it would be without one, so I litteraly took off the other tire off so it could just slide. Once you use a sulky, you'll never look back. It took me plenty of time to buy my first one too but once I did I would never go without again. Just my two cents, I think you'll be real happy with your investment if you choose to go that route!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what he needed someone with experience with the ferris and sulky! That was a good bit of info, and good encouragement for our guy OakNut.
You should check this website out with the Kage Wheel Caddy, seems like a pretty good investment for guys who run the sulky's all the time.

http://www.kageinnovation.com/newpag...p#/#severeDuty
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
12 is a decent number of houses to start out with thats awesome. Ouch that must have been hard to pass over jobs because you know work is work haha, but using a push mower is definitely a tough thing to use all day. Well think about it, I personally would think that you would get the hang of it and love it!
Oh yes, working alone using a 21" mower can make for a long day for sure - self propel or not.

To be clear, I have a total of roughly 50 with about half being biweekly.
There just aren't many that a larger machine is well suited for due to lack of access (think steps), or crazy terrain, and there are a handful that I could use the Ferris on, but they are mixed in with the "city" jobs on days that I don't haul the trailer due to parking restraints.

When using a push mower, the only constraint is the size of lawn you can cut and still make a profit. With larger equipment other factors come into play which is why you only take on those lawns that "work" with the equipment you're using.
I'm in that "transition" phase where I have a mix that requires me to use both.

Eventually, I'll work up to a ZTR. One step at a time.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Oh yes, working alone using a 21" mower can make for a long day for sure - self propel or not.

To be clear, I have a total of roughly 50 with about half being biweekly.
There just aren't many that a larger machine is well suited for due to lack of access (think steps), or crazy terrain, and there are a handful that I could use the Ferris on, but they are mixed in with the "city" jobs on days that I don't haul the trailer due to parking restraints.

When using a push mower, the only constraint is the size of lawn you can cut and still make a profit. With larger equipment other factors come into play which is why you only take on those lawns that "work" with the equipment you're using.
I'm in that "transition" phase where I have a mix that requires me to use both.

Eventually, I'll work up to a ZTR. One step at a time.
Oh so you still have quite a few that you have to run the toro on. Thats tough but I see that you are in a bit of a tough situation, but yeah just weed out the small ones like you said so that you can mainly just run the ferris. If you stay with the smaller yards walk behinds with the sulkys are actually kinda close in productivity as a ztr, yeah just take it slow work hard and don't give up you will be successful.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How is the mower holding up?

I'm planning to replace my 36" Ferris hydrocut with a dual hydro unit and could use some info.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
How is the mower holding up?

I'm planning to replace my 36" Ferris hydrocut with a dual hydro unit and could use some info.
Well, it has just under 100 hrs on it, so it isn't being worked very hard.
I still have a mix of lawns that require a 21", so the Ferris usually only goes out on Mondays, Fridays and some Wednesdays for the larger lawns.

I have no regrets. I sort of wish I had gone larger, but at the same time, I have a few larger lawns that have tight spots that only a 36" will fit through.

I really like the ease of height adjustment. I can fine tune it with a few cranks for whatever lawn I happen to be cutting.

I have the mulch kit installed and that seems to be working pretty well. I do get some clumping if the grass is too tall, but nothing I can't disperse afterward with a blower.
My plan was to remove it at the end of last season so I'd have the side discharge set up for early spring growth and the people who wait until mid May to call about getting a lawn cut. I never removed it though, so I was stuck plowing through some high growth this spring with the mulch kit still on.
I was surprised that it still cut through it pretty well. Not ideal, but better than expected.

I don't think that Ferris offers the Sensor Grips any more, but I'm really glad this has them. I'm going to cry if they ever break, or I buy another unit and have to learn to hold down a lever to keep it running.

Every time I use it in a tight yard I laugh a little thinking of all the guys who scoff at "reverse" while I maneuver it back and forth effortlessly whenever and wherever I may need to. Someone once said "I only make money when my mower is going forward". Yeah, OK. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about your machine that is harder to operate.

I dunno... I can't think of anything to jump up and down about, OR complain about. It does what I bought if for and I haven't had any problems with it.

The valve stems on the front tires are hard to get an air hose on. That's the only "bad" thing I can come up with.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input.

Do they still have the double deck pulley where you have to jump the belt over when going from very low to very high deck adjustment? That and the thumb controls were the only thing I didn't like about the Hydrocut.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
Thanks for the input.

Do they still have the double deck pulley where you have to jump the belt over when going from very low to very high deck adjustment? That and the thumb controls were the only thing I didn't like about the Hydrocut.

Yes. Anything over 3" and you need to move the belt to the other part of the pulley.
I generally keep it set at 3" and drop it for a select few lawns as needed, so it hasn't been an issue for me. I keep meaning to try changing it just so I know how if I should need to, but haven't yet.

I don't know anything about thumb controls.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what model year is your ferris oaknut?