Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM
spgseth spgseth is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 41
Growth under trees

I have two large oak trees in my front yard that are inhibiting the grass from growing (bear dirt) in about a 30ft radius. The majority of grass consist of St. aug and centipede how can I get the grass to grow under the trees?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgseth View Post
I have two large oak trees in my front yard that are inhibiting the grass from growing (bear dirt) in about a 30ft radius. The majority of grass consist of St. aug and centipede how can I get the grass to grow under the trees?
You can't...between the shade and the water uptake of the tree it's a losing battle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 PM
agrostis agrostis is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 1,688
Did you know that a fully grown oak tree can pull 800 gallon's of water a DAY from the ground. Grass under tree's is a losing battle, don't even try.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,109
Do you have irrigation? If not prob SOL. If so it can be done to some degree. here are the things to do that might make it possible. Trim the limbs up as high as possible to allow sunlight in. If it is St Aug maybe add a little more Phosphorus than usual to the area around the tree. If there are roots on top of the ground you will need to add some dirt so the St Aug runners can run into this. Stay off of this area with the mowers, maybe all season long. If you do get to the point the grass needs mowing cut it HIGH. If you do need to mow it consider mowing it with a walk mower or string trimmer, this grass will be fragile and the wear from a heavy rider will injure this grass. Prob will have more success with the St Aug than centipede.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgseth View Post
I have two large oak trees in my front yard that are inhibiting the grass from growing (bear dirt) in about a 30ft radius. The majority of grass consist of St. aug and centipede how can I get the grass to grow under the trees?
The LSU main Campus has many Large Oak Trees. They grow Wedelia under them. Wedelia is a Ground cover that LSU will Weed Eat short once or twice a year.

.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The LSU main Campus has many Large Oak Trees. They grow Wedelia under them. Wedelia is a Ground cover that LSU will Weed Eat short once or twice a year.

.
Great response ric.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2012, 10:50 PM
ArTurf ArTurf is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
The LSU main Campus has many Large Oak Trees. They grow Wedelia under them. Wedelia is a Ground cover that LSU will Weed Eat short once or twice a year.

.
Did you go to LSU? Just got back from there since my daughter will be going to school there. I wasn't around the main campus since she is going to vet school and it has it's own building away from the main area.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Did you go to LSU? Just got back from there since my daughter will be going to school there. I wasn't around the main campus since she is going to vet school and it has it's own building away from the main area.
I am very Familiar with the Vet School near the River. They do a lot of DNA Research and some cloning. Many years ago I lived right down the street in Tiger Town and bought $ 0.13 a pound live crawfish fresh off the Bayou. Yep that is over 40 years ago.

Louisiana has a very rich cultural back ground that I hope your daughter can pick up on and enjoy. I tried my best to be a Coon-ass and still do a lot of Cajun cooking. Many of the small town hold festivals that go back to European history. New Orleans is only the tip of the ice berg that is Louisiana.

However Louisiana is deep south with the perjury against any one not pure white. When my children came home from Pre School telling me they are called the "N" word because they are Asian, It was time to move.

.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,825
I'm in cool-season grass country and all I have is shade lawns because the people that moved into the area wisely kept the trees close to the house... The canopy is made up of mature oak and pine, for the most part, and allows only dappled sunlight throuh over 60-80% of the cover... Slopes in amongst the trees are still a challenge but grass does grow there as well...
I don't know if these mistakes apply to warm-season grasses or not, but those around here that fertilize the same amount as full sun/irrigated lawns, fail... Pre-M is a real deal breaker in the shade as well...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'm in cool-season grass country and all I have is shade lawns because the people that moved into the area wisely kept the trees close to the house... The canopy is made up of mature oak and pine, for the most part, and allows only dappled sunlight throuh over 60-80% of the cover... Slopes in amongst the trees are still a challenge but grass does grow there as well...
I don't know if these mistakes apply to warm-season grasses or not, but those around here that fertilize the same amount as full sun/irrigated lawns, fail... Pre-M is a real deal breaker in the shade as well...
Why would someone spray Pre-Em on bare ground where they want to establish grass?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.07266 seconds with 9 queries