Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 AM
rawtoxic rawtoxic is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evergreen Colorado
Posts: 79
Large Fans for Dusty Job Sites? Shade structures for job sites

I have been doing a huge 4800sf flagstone job.

I was wondering if anyone has industrial fans they use for when cutting dry stone to blow away the dust from the work area? Can you recommend a correct size/model. My foreman hates the wet saw but one of the employees is asthmatic so I'm trying to improve conditions.

Also I'm thinking about a nice portable shade structure for doing masonry flatwork in the sun all day, right now I have my football tailgating one about destroyed. Is there any designed for job sites more so?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
WTF No wet saw on a job that big?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 PM
all ferris's Avatar
all ferris all ferris is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: belleville IL
Posts: 1,254
I have one of those ez up shade canopies. They are a life saver on those 100+ degree days and they are easy to move around.

As far as dust management, We typically use a wet table saw for cutting but sometimes I cut stone in place and if I do that I will either set up so the wind is blowing the dust away from me or get someone to use a backpack blower to blow the dust away. On sensitive job sights I have a chimney sweeping industrial vacuum that could suck the paint off a car.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,905
x2 on the ez up, maybe get a few of them so you dont have to keep moving them but i doubt there is something more easily mobile and fast to set up.

I also use a box fan on some jobs, but you could maybe get one of those massive fans on wheels mechanics sometimes have in their shops
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtoxic View Post
I have been doing a huge 4800sf flagstone job.

I was wondering if anyone has industrial fans they use for when cutting dry stone to blow away the dust from the work area? Can you recommend a correct size/model. My foreman hates the wet saw but one of the employees is asthmatic so I'm trying to improve conditions.

Also I'm thinking about a nice portable shade structure for doing masonry flatwork in the sun all day, right now I have my football tailgating one about destroyed. Is there any designed for job sites more so?
We just did a flagstone walk and a paver area and used fans and a quick shade at the site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,052
A store up here had EZ-up shades on sale in the spring. I picked up four 8'*8', and two 10'*10' ones. I came up with an ingenious way to control the dust when dry cutting. I have a 4' handle mounted on an extension for my wetdry vac. A second guy simply walks beside the saw and can comfortably keep the hose near the blade while keeping his hands away.
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
A store up here had EZ-up shades on sale in the spring. I picked up four 8'*8', and two 10'*10' ones. I came up with an ingenious way to control the dust when dry cutting. I have a 4' handle mounted on an extension for my wetdry vac. A second guy simply walks beside the saw and can comfortably keep the hose near the blade while keeping his hands away.
not that ingenious since you're paying someone to hold a vacuum hose every time something needs to be cut
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
not that ingenious since you're paying someone to hold a vacuum hose every time something needs to be cut
Ok so what is your option when doing a walkway in a small yard, when you want to poly immediately after so the wet saw is out of the question and you do not want to cover everything in the area with dust. It's more cost effective to have a guy walking with the vac while cutting for 15 minutes than to have a guy cleaning the dust off every surface for 30-60 minutes.
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,905
your option is get a saw with a dust hookup, rig one up with duct tape, or have a guy hold the hose.... not saying its stupid. its just not ingenious. i think vacuuming up dust is a conventional and normal way of controlling it.
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Ok so what is your option when doing a walkway in a small yard, when you want to poly immediately after so the wet saw is out of the question and you do not want to cover everything in the area with dust. It's more cost effective to have a guy walking with the vac while cutting for 15 minutes than to have a guy cleaning the dust off every surface for 30-60 minutes.
easiet thing to do is buy an EDCO saw with an optional dust collection system.

Do a search on my user name, you'll see a good looking guy running one.


.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.07933 seconds with 9 queries