Register free!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvoss View Post
On residential gas meters, the pressure from the meter to the house is only 3 -4 psi.
3-4 ounces. but read where pressures can be over 900 psi.

I draw no lines with buried utilities, they are all dangerous, time consuming and costly to repair and if not repaired by the facility or licensed individule the person responsable for the damage is married to the repair. Period.

It's one thing for the mow and blow to replace a head that they damaged or a pipe that they broke. Most here ***** and complain when they do and post such repairs in the hall of shame.

What happens if your repair fails after you have done it the way you were told at the supply house? What if the repair coupling was faulty? What if the counter guy was wrong? Who gets to pay for the damage? What if the owners aqe away and the house fills with gas and best case burns while they are gone? worst case they are home ane things are real ugly?

Insurance doesn't cover stupidity my friend and the coming trend is leaning on crimminal charges being filed in cases of negligence or non disclosure or report of damage.

Off the box now, i personally feel that the years of exposure that i have had in regards to buried utilites just makes me more aware of the consequenses of my actions than some forum members. Maybe not
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
3-4 ounces. but read where pressures can be over 900 psi.

I draw no lines with buried utilities, they are all dangerous, time consuming and costly to repair and if not repaired by the facility or licensed individule the person responsable for the damage is married to the repair. Period.

It's one thing for the mow and blow to replace a head that they damaged or a pipe that they broke. Most here ***** and complain when they do and post such repairs in the hall of shame.

What happens if your repair fails after you have done it the way you were told at the supply house? What if the repair coupling was faulty? What if the counter guy was wrong? Who gets to pay for the damage? What if the owners aqe away and the house fills with gas and best case burns while they are gone? worst case they are home ane things are real ugly?

Insurance doesn't cover stupidity my friend and the coming trend is leaning on crimminal charges being filed in cases of negligence or non disclosure or report of damage.

Off the box now, i personally feel that the years of exposure that i have had in regards to buried utilites just makes me more aware of the consequenses of my actions than some forum members. Maybe not
Posted via Mobile Device
900 psi on a residential service? You would trust a $15 an hour tech repair over your own repair?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
900 psi on a residential service? You would trust a $15 an hour tech repair over your own repair?
I would, the tech for the gas company might be making $15 an hour and have less experience, knowledge, and skill but is something eventually goes wrong, he is the one with insurance that will cover the damage. He is also the one properly licensed to do the repair. People seem to forget that when you touch a utility to repair it you are now married to that repair. Ten years later, that pipe fails and the investigation points to the repair you did in even the slightest bit, you bet they are coming after you.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
900 psi on a residential service?
1.) http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=35

2.) i don't expect you to ever agree with me but i do expect you to read the post statement (since it was in response to your incorrect post) before trying to insinuate question.

3.) underground service alert was designed to prevent damage to the facilities property and personal injury or death to workers and the public. your statements lead one to believe that you have had very limited experience working in situations were life and death scenarios exist. each utility marking should be shown the same respect as another as you never know exactly what may be buried in a common trench that was missed or if a utility was miss marked or as shown in the video, unknown.

Quote:
You would trust a $15 an hour tech repair over your own repair?
1.) i would never be faced with that issue, it's the facilities property and their responsibility to repair and assume liability for their work.

2.) i don't know where you get the $15 an hour tech part? here the journeymen get over $40 an hour, plus benefits. they also serve a 4 year apprenticeship and attend classes for CEU's.

any journey level "gas tech" here is a certified welder, pipe fitter, equipment operator and laborer and can do anything pertaining to gas services, transmission or conveyance.

3.) if your repair went south, how would you like to pay the bill on something like this:

4.) you need to grow up, get a handle on your online appearance to the other forum members, quit giving out bogus advice on topics you know little about, post something positive for a change. you may end up with a more harmonious outcome of your time here.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't blow things out of proportion like you do.

We are talking about an unmarked private residential gas line. The 1-6psi one you are talking mentioned in your post. If it were anything else, it would be located. I don't know why you keep bringing up 900psi when we are talking about a residential and private gas line that the gas company will not locate. And 9 times out of 10, the dumb plumber did not put a tracer wire on the pipe.

Obviously you always get a locate. And if you hit a gas line by accident or marked improperly, the gas company will fix it for free.

So if I hit an unmarked private 1/2" gas line at the rear of someone's home, would I fix it? Yes. I am not going to dump that repair on the client after they are spending $1000s of dollars with me. And I am not going to call a plumbing company to fix it when I have better tech's than them. Not too mention we can fix the problem immediately and correctly.

You keep posting these stupid videos of large gas lines that someone hits without a locate... and that is not what we are talking about. Those would be located by "call before you dig"

You keep bringing up 900 psi... when that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about 1/2" lines at 3-4 psi.

Do I need to say it again? WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 1/2" PRIVATE GAS LINES THAT UTILIQUEST WILL NOT LOCATE.

Last edited by muddywater; 08-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I google'd and youtube'd 1/2" gas line explosion but couldn't find any hits.... wonder why?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I just don't blow things out of proportion like you do.
you cannot blow safety or legalities out of proportion, underground utilities are underground utilities, period..........you treat them all with the same respect and you will make more by damaging less.
if you ever do any size-able underground work you will learn that, prolly the hard way.

Quote:
We are talking about an unmarked private residential gas line. The 1-6psi one you are talking mentioned in your post.
evidently we weren't, taken from post 27
Quote:
As for how I turned it off. there's a shut off at the gas meter in the alley. That's the first thing I did.
the OP was dealing with about 1/4 psi but it could have been just as easily taken from post 10
Quote:
If it makes you feel better the main gas line for my street is only 6 inches deep across most of my front lawn.
Quote:
I don't know why you keep bringing up 900psi when we are talking about a residential and private gas line that the gas company will not locate. And 9 times out of 10, the dumb plumber did not put a tracer wire on the pipe.
i suppose a hotshot like you will never plant a tree or build a fence near a utility trench, or do a street cut or hot tap off of a city main? i have been in the trades a long time and have done a ton of specialty work, lots of excavation work, i have hit 2 gas lines but both of these lines were 200psi+ lines. 2 lines in roughly 40 years isn't bad, lad.

btw, you show ignorance when you constantly try elevating yourself by calling others names, not all plumbers are dumb

Quote:
Obviously you always get a locate.
why of course i do, when the law requires one.

Quote:
And if you hit a gas line by accident or marked improperly, the gas company will fix it for free.
in your dreams, i get the same bill as anyone else.

Quote:
So if I hit an unmarked private 1/2" gas line at the rear of someone's home, would I fix it? Yes. I am not going to dump that repair on the client after they are spending $1000s of dollars with me. And I am not going to call a plumbing company to fix it when I have better tech's than them. Not too mention we can fix the problem immediately and correctly.
that's right, you broke it, not the home owner. you simply call the facility and they will repair it, send you a bill and you can move on. if the facility is cool with you fixing the damage that's fine but you should check on the legalities of your actions before attempting to repair it and not report the damage.

Quote:
You keep posting these stupid videos of large gas lines that someone hits without a locate... and that is not what we are talking about. Those would be located by "call before you dig"
who said that these lines were not located, one was a non located sewer mishap where you can bet the site was marked and located. the other was on a major street in the bay, bet it was located too.

Quote:
You keep bringing up 900 psi... when that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about 1/2" lines at 3-4 psi.
actually one of the big reasons that Lawnsite is so important is educational. just think that only the other day you thought that 30 psi was regulated into the house and now you have learned that after the meter the regulated pressure is only 3 - 4 ounces. good for you.

you have also learned that transmission lines are pressurized to an average of 900 psi., this can be as low as 200 or as much as 1200 psi though.

you may never work around electrical transmission or distribution lines or high pressure gas lines (i really hope you don't) but as long as i am around you will hear the same thing over and over. when working underground you have to work safe, you have to be cautious and you have to have respect for the unknown. dime to a dollar you can't read a congested site. i posted a link to a free handbook and more than one person on the forum downloaded it for reference, i bet those that took advantage of the link can.

i even refer to it from time to time
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Point is....

1/2" gas line = not deadly

2" gas line = deadly
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends - homes were destroyed when small steel lines were broken off basement meters
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most important thing I learned is that there are some house supply lines that are not fully equipped with tracing wires as a matter of common practice, and it is knowledge that does not make me happy.