Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Will the Jimmijammers prevent a towing company from being able to slim jim the door when you lock the keys inside? The fuel line shutoff is a good idea. I know a lot of guys that have them on classic cars. They range from a simple valve such as on mower tanks to electronic ones that have a switch hidden under the dash
No ...The jimmijammers are just there to prevent the lock cylinder from being punched out ...They still should be able to slim jim
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadburylawn View Post
I own Spreadbury landscape, we are out of Hernando County. On Aug. 02, 2012 we got robbed. One of my F-250 , 20 ft trailer, and just under 30,000 in equipment was stolen. We found the truck and trailer within a couple of hours, and of course no equipment. It was found off of I-4 Dover exit on back street. I have heard this has been happening alot lately. I spoke to a couple of companies and all of their trucks have been found in the same general area. They are targeting F-250 up to F-550 because they can punch the locks, so watch your stuff. Does anyone have any ideas who may be doing this, or where the equipment is going.
I read recently that the Mexican smugglers/drug cartels prefer the Ford F250 since they are so easy to steal and they are great for traveling through the desert avoiding border patrol.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
I read recently that the Mexican smugglers/drug cartels prefer the Ford F250 since they are so easy to steal and they are great for traveling through the desert avoiding border patrol.
I heard same thing ...4x4s are commonly stolen to run drugs and illegals ..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Most likely the equipment is heading to major ports like Miami even Tampa and being
"containerized" not titled articles do not require the Manifests like titled vehicles
Most end up in S America and island Nations via Cargo ships , I was in the Pawn business and found out quite a bit about this dealing with law enforcement regularly .
Port of Miami. Other countries do not have the strict serial number background checks
Like we do here in the states .
Sounds like they are organized and prob. To smart to sell locally .
I know the insurance I have is replacement for my equipment and costs less than a
Backpack Stihl blower annually.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have teamed up with 2 other lco's and now have a pretty secure facility....although nothing is perfect you can make it harder to steal....10 ft fence w/barb wire, outside perimeter lazer detection (will trip silent alarm tied in to 3 of us as well as PD..) 2 really mean/traind dogs who only come in contact and answer to the 3 of us owners...our crews are not permitted any contact with the dogs....each truck has alarm as well as gps tracking....each trailer has alarm as well....all trailer are separated from trucks each night and tongue locks in place....16 camera surv. system that we can all watch from pc or phones (also records 24/7) btw the gps system will call our cell phone if truck/trailer move at all during off hours....we have put together a tough system for a fraction of what it costs to replace our equipment....thats not to say its bullet proof but it helps deter theft, as all 3 of us have been hit several times....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Damn G, I can only see one weakness you are minus a Roof top Sniper lol.

Do know one thing be careful with the dogs even on posted private property a dog bite or Mauling is a meal ticket for a Pot licking injury Lawyer . I had considered a dog at my shop but legal advice deterred
That rather quickly.