Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Sponsor

A few more pics from Bahia Beach - by the way, designed by Juan Salazar and Edgar Torres of Caribbean Landscape Products. This was a tough shoot, 100+ degrees, fire ants, over 500 acres and 1,000+ lights - took 2 nights - 10 hours shooting - still didn't shoot it all.
Attached Images

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Beautiful as usual Steve. Love the boardwalk through the forest. They did a nice job.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice job and pics, Steve.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve question for you. Some of those palms around the pool look really close to water. Is the nec followed down in PR? If not what do they go off of?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Steve question for you. Some of those palms around the pool look really close to water. Is the nec followed down in PR? If not what do they go off of?
I don't know what codes they follow, although all the work was done (and is maintained) by licensed electricians.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta knock my fellow electricians, most don't have any idea of the 10 foot rule. First thing I saw when I saw the palms but didn't want to say because depth perception is tough in these pix.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLI Electric View Post
Gotta knock my fellow electricians, most don't have any idea of the 10 foot rule. First thing I saw when I saw the palms but didn't want to say because depth perception is tough in these pix.
While I know that NEC has the 10-ft. rule, keep in mind that local electrical inspectors may interpret the code as they wish. (Yes, I understand that the inspector can get in trouble from his organization, but there seems to be some leniency there). If the inspector is willing to sign off on the installation, then the installer is free to do so.

Of course, many municipalities and states are very strict, but many are not.

Keep in mind that, from a safety standpoint, putting low voltage (under 30V)fixtures near water features (and any other location) does not present a health and safety risk (according to the definitive study by the IEC in 2005 - the work of this organization is the basis of many UL standards). History also bears this out - no serious injuries from contact with voltages of less than 47 volts for at least the last 40 years.

There are many advocates of increasing the voltage limit in UL 1838, and eliminating the 10-ft. rule, but these efforts have been blocked for decades by certain interests.

To be clear, I'm not advocating that anyone violate NEC. In all our instructional materials (included product sheets mandated by UL) we cite the 10-ft. rule.

The 10-ft. rule has been a significant obstacle for creating good lighting design - how would you otherwise light the palm trees in the pool islands for this Bahia Beach project?

I understand that the AOLP and other organizations that set standards, can not fly in the face of NEC, but I also think that there should be some recognition that in about half of the United States inspectors don't enforce this rule - and lighting designs are better because of it.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve if your not getting on a plane soon I would. Might be a hurricane headed your way down there
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like it or not, if you are going to be a professional, you have to follow the Code. I understand the silliness of it but you have to follow the Code. I understand the design REALLY needs it and everyone will benefit from it but you have to follow the Code.
I appreciate the desire to make the design right, the picture come out as beautiful as it can be and the client to be as happy as possible but you cannot bend the Code as you deem fit or unfit. If you have a licensed contractor doing this and YOU know better than they do, let them know. It is the right thing to do.
I admit I am nauseated by the fact that the out on this seems to be ,"well, a licensed guy installed it and the inspector didn't pick it up." No excuse. SM&L saw it, I saw it and now others have seen it. I say again I can go to any major manufacturers gallery (contractors too) and see this design with a major Code flaw displayed proudly and for all to see.
I try to explain to landscape architects, interior designers and regular architects that I will install to the best of my ability. If I see a violation, I will mention it to them out of earshot of the client so they don't embarass themselves. If they don't care or say it's stupid then I will expose them and make them look inept so the client knows who is really concerned about not only the functionality and beauty but also the safety.
I remember talking with a painter one day and he said he will still use lead paint. My face must have been shocked because his excuse is that sometimes you really need to get it done with less coats of paint. I let anyone I know that considered using this guy of the possibility of what can go on their walls.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLI Electric View Post
Like it or not, if you are going to be a professional, you have to follow the Code.
I thought they were really more like "guidelines" Yarggh (famous pirates quote)

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com