Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know it's different but I was running a mulcher today shredding brush piles with stumps. There was some lumber in there... a piece shot out like an arrow and went between the cab and the machine frame. Missed my knee by a few inches. Was sticking inside my cab by about 4 to 5 inches and sticking outside the cab about 8 inches. It was a piece of 2x4 or similar. Went through the foam "gasket" that seals the cab. Was wedged so tight that I had to undo cab bolts to get it out. Even with 12" water pipe pliers, I couldn't budge it. So, that is proof at how fast things can go from normal to dangerous.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so what do you guys think would be safer the an oem new holland door, or fabricate an expanded metal door with some plexi or lexan. Is it better to run them backwards?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

run what backwards? Expanded metal will hold up to big blunt missiles (if it's built well) but will let a lot of dust and small stuff straight in. Will not be fun mowing things with small thorns if the wind is blowing in your face. Lexan is a good choice and even 1/4 is rated to something like 300 mph impact. Though your sides are open, the small stuff won't get you head on..

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For all my lexan needs I've been using ebay seller Popdisplays ...believe they are in OH...they give the best piece price and even a better price when you buy in bulk. Very fast shipping too.

You can fabricate the entire opening for a new holland skid out of 3/8" or 1/2" lexan. It'll make you feel very safe.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
For all my lexan needs I've been using ebay seller Popdisplays ...believe they are in OH...they give the best piece price and even a better price when you buy in bulk. Very fast shipping too.

You can fabricate the entire opening for a new holland skid out of 3/8" or 1/2" lexan. It'll make you feel very safe.
Good call on the 1/2". Its better to be safe than sorry. It only take one thrown object to ruin your day.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never ran one so i dont have the expirence as you guys, but if the cutter is on the ground mowing thick grass, briars etc does it throw out debris? I know accidents happen but what would be the difference between cutting with a tractor or a skid?. I do think that I am going with the "custom" expaned metal topped with lexan.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

look at this big bad machine. I guess its like a hybrid mulcher / brush hog

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listi...?OHID=7663291&
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
I have never ran one so i dont have the expirence as you guys, but if the cutter is on the ground mowing thick grass, briars etc does it throw out debris? I know accidents happen but what would be the difference between cutting with a tractor or a skid?. I do think that I am going with the "custom" expaned metal topped with lexan.
My mower is an open front type so it spits most of the stuff out in that direction, and it also has a rigid metal rear skirt so very little comes out the back when it's on the ground. Some have chains hanging down in the rear for a skirt and they aren't as effective in keeping flying debris contained.

The downside to the rigid skirt is that grasses will build up easier and become trapped, while the chains can float over top of the grass clumps.

While mowing taller grass I keep the rear of my mower a tad higher than the front to let the grass escape easier. Having the front close to grade also allows a bit more stabilization with less bobbing and pitching, especially since I like to cruise at 5 or 6 mph when cutting all the trails and fields I routinely maintain.