Register free!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
For me, yes! Aeration in Northern Illinois has an open range. You've got the large national companies charging up to $120 to aerate small 1/4 acres (10,890 sq. ft). Me, I charge $55.00....pretty cheap but it usually only takes 25 mins....with the riding aerator.

You know the night and day difference when you push mow compared to riding your zero turn....it's the same with aeration.

The old drum walk behind aerators beat you up. They give you a workout, and as you are fighting with the machine....you think, "What am I doing this back breaking work for?".

Then they came out with the single hydro aerator...so much easier....but slow moving. You're no where as tired as the old style drum aerator...but it takes a long time to get the work done. So you start to think, "Am I making any money at this speed?".

Now they are starting to come out with the dual hydro aerators. Great machine!!!! Fast, quick, can fit through a 36" gate...at full speed...you are running! A great money making machine!!! The only problem....Lawn Solutions couldn't produce them like they promised. Now Toro/ExMark are supposed to come out with them in July 2012. They didn't make that date. Now they are looking for the Fall of 2012. This would be a great way to go if you didn't want to spend over $8000.00 for the rider. The dual should be around $4000.00 and you don't have to jump in with both feet like you would with the riding aerator.

The Riding Aerator....an aerating beast!!! The best, easiest, fastest, and you will make money....because now you can do a job for less (still make good money) and have time to take on more work....if you want it?

Last fall I made over $800.00 aerating on day. It was 5 large yards....but all I had to do was stand and drive the machine. Now it doesn't happen everyday....but it happened and could happen again this year. But it takes time to build your customers and get the word out.
Great explanation. I wonder how many years you could count on getting out of this machine if you keep it up putting avg of 20 hrs a year on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As long as they make replacement parts....I think this will last a very long time. It is very well made....feels like a little tank....but handles great!

Since I'm a solo worker....I take care of my equipment, so I feel it will last a long time while making good money.... while extending the life of my equipment.

I get more than 20 hrs a season....usually 40 hrs a season...so far....but as the business increases....so will the hours.

My future is to buy another machine in a few years so I will have two riders, since we have 3 boys that will be able to help out down the road. The oldest is 12 yrs. old now and he is learning how to cut, trim, and edge our yard now. And he is doing a great job!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After a caller asked if I clean my tines after every job I've made this part of my routine & shortly plan to use this in upcoming ads. An ounce of prevention...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

probably stupid but for $8000 i have to ask because no dealer here knows.....can it aerate in reverse ?

My dealer did say that he understands that Exmark is backing away from the spreader and sprayer attachments because with it not being stainless steel they are worried about corrosion, which makes sense. He said he thought they may take off the 2" reciever altogether.
Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
probably stupid but for $8000 i have to ask because no dealer here knows.....can it aerate in reverse ?

My dealer did say that he understands that Exmark is backing away from the spreader and sprayer attachments because with it not being stainless steel they are worried about corrosion, which makes sense. He said he thought they may take off the 2" reciever altogether.
Steve
All of the hydro drive aerators aerate in reverse. So yes, it does aerate in reverse. This is what makes the hydro drive aerators night and day from belt driven ones. With the walk behinds, no more lifting the tines. Just do circles or 3 point turn arounds with tines down. Also up down fairly steep hills using reverse makes them much easier.

The rider is the bomb! All I can say is wow. Big price tag, but aerating is not to be dreaded any more. It as easy as cutting grass now.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Turfco xt5 only pulls plugs going forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow! I did not know that and what a shame! To me one of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro aerators is the reverse aerating ability. It is major in turning around, tight spots and hills. This is EXACTLY why I think they are better than your typical aerator. My walk behind is a 2009 Lawn Solutions.

Man, I hate to say this, but what a scam Turfco!! What is the real advantage in your aerator? After all the hoopla and arguing on this site about which was the better aerator between LS and Turfco and countless people go by a Turfco and it turns out that it isn't on par with even the older LS models!

If this statement is true, I can honostly give an opinion that the Toro/Exmark (formerly Lawn Solutions) aerators are superior to the Turfco for this very reason.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For me, I never aerate going backwards (just me). Now I will back up, get the rear standing plate almost touching house, wall, tree, etc....then once I'm back as far as I can go....step on the downward tine's pedal and go forward.

Can you go around a tree with the tines down? Yes and no. Yes, if you are going slow and it's a gradual large circle. If you turn too tight...your chains will start to click, adding stress and stretching the chains out making the hydro's jump a bit.

If it's a tight circle, I will work my way around it making an hexagon pattern. Getting as close to the object going straight, then back up and using my 30" aeration pattern as a boarder. Work my way around the tree seems like it would take a long time....but it doesn't.

I think this is where guys were breaking their belts by turning too tight with their tines in the ground. Something has to give, and usually the belts would break.

I always make a boarder along the outer part of the yard with two or three passes. Then I will start to make my mowing pattern, going back and forth. Lifting my tines once I hit my boarder area, then lifting the tines to turn around, get straight, then hit the pedal to drop my tines, aerating the other direction with a little over lap. Pretty much the same way I would cut most yards.

By going straight, you are not putting any stress on the machine or your tines.

I always will clean my tines after I get done aerating too. Takes five to seven minutes....but you will be surprised at how many rocks that get stuck in the tines.

On the front attachments, there are other companies that you can use to retrofit for the riding aerator. Just giving Toro a chance to see if and what they might make.
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Now come on if the tines are in the ground why wouldn't it pull plugs when going backwards.

Charles Cue
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
For me, yes! Aeration in Northern Illinois has an open range. You've got the large national companies charging up to $120 to aerate small 1/4 acres (10,890 sq. ft). Me, I charge $55.00....pretty cheap but it usually only takes 25 mins....with the riding aerator.

You know the night and day difference when you push mow compared to riding your zero turn....it's the same with aeration.

The old drum walk behind aerators beat you up. They give you a workout, and as you are fighting with the machine....you think, "What am I doing this back breaking work for?".

Then they came out with the single hydro aerator...so much easier....but slow moving. You're no where as tired as the old style drum aerator...but it takes a long time to get the work done. So you start to think, "Am I making any money at this speed?".

Now they are starting to come out with the dual hydro aerators. Great machine!!!! Fast, quick, can fit through a 36" gate...at full speed...you are running! A great money making machine!!! The only problem....Lawn Solutions couldn't produce them like they promised. Now Toro/ExMark are supposed to come out with them in July 2012. They didn't make that date. Now they are looking for the Fall of 2012. This would be a great way to go if you didn't want to spend over $8000.00 for the rider. The dual should be around $4000.00 and you don't have to jump in with both feet like you would with the riding aerator.

The Riding Aerator....an aerating beast!!! The best, easiest, fastest, and you will make money....because now you can do a job for less (still make good money) and have time to take on more work....if you want it?

Last fall I made over $800.00 aerating on day. It was 5 large yards....but all I had to do was stand and drive the machine. Now it doesn't happen everyday....but it happened and could happen again this year. But it takes time to build your customers and get the word out.

ok, this will probably start a big pissing match but I'm going to say it for conversation sake because I think it's worth discussing. I actually quoted a lady with a 1/4 acre $120 today for aeration. Before it was all said and done, I had offered to drop it to $100 IF she got three of her neighbors to sign up and another $10 discount if they would join my mobile VIP club bringing the price down to $90. My question is this, if it is worth $90 to do the job with a pain in the rear end walk behind, is it worth less because I have invested the capital to purchase a more productive machine? That's kind of how I have looked at mowing in the past. If a lawn is worth $40 to be mowed, and I use a 21" WB and it takes me an hour to mow it is it worth LESS when I come in with my 60" zero turn and knock it out in 20 minutes? It's still worth $40 but I just increased my productivity by investing in better equipment. Does that makes sense? I just don't see selling yourself short just because you have a more productive unit. Not looking to pick a fight here, just a discussion.