Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i get what your saying...instead of having 3000 invested you now have 8000 invested..the customer shouldn't care how long it takes.( they agreed to the price right?)..but I know from experience they do...If your in and out in 20 minutes they feel cheated but they just don't understand the differences in cost of equipment
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
i get what your saying...instead of having 3000 invested you now have 8000 invested..the customer shouldn't care how long it takes.( they agreed to the price right?)..but I know from experience they do...If your in and out in 20 minutes they feel cheated but they just don't understand the differences in cost of equipment
OH I know. Years ago, I had this old man I mowed for. Still was running a lawn tractor. Was charging $25 every two weeks. (this was 15 years ago guys...) Bought my first zero turn and old dude had a fit because I got done so fast. Felt like I should only charge him $20. Argued with him for a little bit about it and finally gave in. Not now. Sorry, but it's worth what it's worth. I also have a "I ain't arguing with your dumbass I have better things to do with my time" policy.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Now come on if the tines are in the ground why wouldn't it pull plugs when going backwards.

Charles Cue
Now that just makes sense.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
None of my pricing will change this year with the new machine. I didn't change prices for previous and regular customers and my pricing structure is the same as last year. I seriously doubt that I will hear any complaints, but I guess I will find out!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished a SA turf aeration & I wasn't pleased with the results. All I could think about was how well the Stand-on would have performed. If it were March then I wouldn't hesitate on the purchase but we'll be going into dethatching in 30 days (I guess) & I need a power-rake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For me, I tried to find a happy medium for prices and time. I want to make money, so I give a little to be cheaper then most....but then when you factor in "your time"....I am able to do twice as much while using very little energy.

But it all comes down to your bottom line.... what do you need to justify buying new or used equipment. Just because one guy can, maybe you can, or should wait a bit. If you have too many payments, what happens in winter when the aerator payment is due? Everyone has different expenses that can off set a low bid. But for me, one big thing I think is being seen....either on the web, your website, working a customer's yard, or past customer's telling their friends. The more they talk (hopefully good stuff) the more you will be able to get for your work.

That's a good way of negotiating with a customer, start at your normal price, and if they can get a friend or two that want their yards done too....you drop the price. Everyone makes out good! Nothing wrong with that.
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My ads are $69 up-to 1/4 acre & of course once in a while ill get a caller saying that his & 2 neighbors lawns barely add up-to 1/4 acre. That doesn't happen often. I try to nicely stick to my rate & most of the time they call back to schedule. Otherwise you get "but you did my neighbors for such & such", not my kind of fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
My Turfco xt5 only pulls plugs going forward.
Posted via Mobile Device
It can pull cores in reverse but it is difficult with the tine design. That is true for all these hydro drive aerators using that tine design. As the tip of the tine wears off it will pull better cores in reverse but again the shape of the tine, the cutting leading edge and hole that the core must pass thru makes it difficult to pull a core. With that said it is still doing a really good job of aeration as it enters the ground and makes a rollling "X" movement under the ground. It is reaching depth and doing a pivot on the tip as it moves backwards. This fractures the ground and relieves compaction so you are doing well by the lawn / grass by operating the machine in reverse with the tines down.

I would venture to say that those who say they pull plugs in reverse are seeing cores from the forward movement falling out as very little soil is being pressed into the tines in reverse.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
Wow! I did not know that and what a shame! To me one of the MAJOR advantages of the hydro aerators is the reverse aerating ability. It is major in turning around, tight spots and hills. This is EXACTLY why I think they are better than your typical aerator. My walk behind is a 2009 Lawn Solutions.

Man, I hate to say this, but what a scam Turfco!! What is the real advantage in your aerator? After all the hoopla and arguing on this site about which was the better aerator between LS and Turfco and countless people go by a Turfco and it turns out that it isn't on par with even the older LS models!

If this statement is true, I can honostly give an opinion that the Toro/Exmark (formerly Lawn Solutions) aerators are superior to the Turfco for this very reason.
Foxtrot, I would watch what you say. We are all using the exact same design of tine, entering the soil in exactly the same manner so be careful. and How much tine research have you done? I have been at it since the early 70s when I was with Ryan (who designed that tine) and many others.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post

Foxtrot, I would watch what you say. We are all using the exact same design of tine, entering the soil in exactly the same manner so be careful. and How much tine research have you done? I have been at it since the early 70s when I was with Ryan (who designed that tine) and many others.
The dual hydro is the Bomb. Other designs are ancient history!
The dual hydro runs circles around the other designs.
Take it easy BOBBY BOY!