Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry green industry, you obviously type faster than me!

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post

Also watching your rentals, I would have done all the excavating first, and then rented the compactor. You could also get 90% of the pavers down before needing to make any cuts. Just a thought.
I was thinking that as well with the rentals. Your are probably going to take a couple of days laying the pavers since it is your first time. If I was you, I would have laid the field and soldier course first then just grabbed the saw when I was done to do all the cuts at once. That is unless you have a good rental house that gives a good weekend deal. We have a few up here who only rent to companies and not home owners, they almost give the equipment away for weekends.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the ideas. At the end of this I will be going over all the pitfalls and mistakes I can think of. Luckily and unluckily that small compactor wasn't working so they gave me another, it didn't work, finally got the bigger one which then they only charged me the small compactor weekend rate along with the Dingo with a 10% discount for all the trouble. But again first hardscape = not knowing for sure when I'd need what. I also thought I'd be farther along so I had all the equipment ready, classic rookie mistake. Well hopefully it goes well today!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I've used a couple of weekend rentals as they are discounted. Everything is paid for by my brother and I'm using this as more of an experience than money maker, but am still being paid for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry one more thing. If I get say half the field laid, do I compact 2/3 of that or just wait until its all down? Swear I read to compact at the end of a day?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was only able to get a half day in but got some ok production. Screeded the sand and once the pattern was in my head it was easy to put down. Getting the pavers to the area to lay was the biggest pain. Also either this product is junk, old, or something else but the amount of effloresence is unbelieveable. Luckily my brother could care less, more of a function than image person, so he says "keep going". But really?? LONG day ahead tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is it supposed to be a pattern? Whats the manufacturer? Seems to be some long lines in that pattern
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that is the pattern and I thought similar. Manufacturer is Atlas Hardscapes, maker of Allan Block. I'll post the pattern later. If I do another hardscape I'll look into a different manufacturer I think. Maybe Unilock, they're big around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MDLawn; 08-25-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't compact until all is down and edging is in and you have swept sand.

As for Allan Block, you will see a huge difference in quality when you look at Unilock. Allan block tried to push their material around 8 years ago, they had a seatwall block that was only 6 inches thick and was hollow, how long before that wall would fall over.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got the patio in!! Thanks to help from my brother and his wife. Ran out of pavers during the walkway so that put a halt to things. Thanks to the guy placing my order not listening to me to add 10% to the square footage. Still need to get those walkway pavers in and get the steps up. This does feel like the never ending job. Compacted the patio because I had the compactor rented and wasnt about to not use it and pay for it. There are a few mistakes I need to correct and my bond lines are not the greatest. Again this is my FIRST hardscape and in hindsight I picked quite the project to start with. A nice square 10x10 would've been nice.
Attached Images