Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's why your not using it as an insecticide. It's signal word is caution labeled as surfactant. Wetting agents usually are not recorded. But it's a great product enhancer. Wonder how many customers have ants when they get an above ground treatment of termidor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Trichlorfon is underrated...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
TurfMD 101- Exoskeleton? Stolons? If you want to be the expert fine, how about utilizing correct terminology / spelling? For the record: I'm state certified in all four categories since June 1978. I have 3 degrees (2 undergraduate, 1 Graduate), over 40 years experience, owned my own PC business, Manager at WDW in Pest Management for 11 years, Extension Agent IFAS in South Florida, written and published articles and delivered countless programs. Ever heard of spell check? Now, I'm not disputing everything you said BUT you're not the only knowledgeable person here. You may wish to keep that in mind. Good day Sir.
Wow that was harsh; I'd like to see you and Ric go at it in an ego throwdown.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
I, as a certified operator won't be putting down soap to control TSW (ELS comments above are correct IMO). If Joe homeowner wants to do that it's his business. Our company will indeed apply Bifen (or other labeled products) to manage TSW numbers when required. Likely our customers would be more satisfied with that.

TurfMD 101- Exoskeleton? Stolons? If you want to be the expert fine, how about utilizing correct terminology / spelling? For the record: I'm state certified in all four categories since June 1978. I have 3 degrees (2 undergraduate, 1 Graduate), over 40 years experience, owned my own PC business, Manager at WDW in Pest Management for 11 years, Extension Agent IFAS in South Florida, written and published articles and delivered countless programs. Ever heard of spell check? Now, I'm not disputing everything you said BUT you're not the only knowledgeable person here. You may wish to keep that in mind. Good day Sir.
1) So I guess you don't use baking soda for crabgrass right? I think your problem is you are too book experienced. Closed minded. If the label says it, it must be true. you've spent to much time learning what other people say vs what your over 40 years of experience tells you. I roll my own way, never cut and paste. Your short changing your customers by staying in the box. My customers prefer a more natural control than a synthetic pyrethroid that's worn out, over used and not a true residual. You use it because its cheap. Talstar has a better molecule, too much $ ay. I'm not saying it works but most would agree it works better. If I were you I would be upset to. I'm a guy who never went to (school) for this. Well your kind of edumacation (check spelling pls). My school from 18 to 45 has been in the landscape. I pay attention, remember things and how the environment works from record rains to record droughts and anything in between. I've never read many labels, though I know most products by what they "really" do not what controlled test study's show or labels tell me. I'm open minded. If I thought I was the most knowledgeable person here I would probably use spell check to prove it, but I don't. So that settles that. Oh, I don't want to be THE expert but I am an EXPERT. I'm not trying to publish anything here or I would be really be letting it role. I'm saving some for later. The fact is I never visit my customers only phone contact or e-mailed pictures from them. I usually take an account that's fed-up with poor results from different services. After 6 to 8 weeks their landscapes are on cruise control. My customers almost never use insecticides or herbicides. I guide them over the phone, never visit them and their always asked who they have for service because their landscape screams green under all environmental adversity. Then I get another lead. I mean account. The fact is my customers landscapes out perform ones visited 6-7 times a year by techs. I'm very proactive when it comes to potential landscape failures. Yea i'm that good. So do I think i'm an expert, YES. Can I spell good, ( I mean well ) NO. Since spelling has nothing to do with keeping landscapes healthy and problem free. I guess your school taught good spelling. My school taught me the necessary things beyond spelling. Good day to you Sir! P.S. keep up on applying pesticides that seems to work best for YOU.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are so literal. Ok I'm self taught. That doesn't mean I have no certificates. I've attended many classes. Because I needed the paper. Not the info.

OK, I confess the only label I read front to back was Round -Up pro liq. Other than that AI's rates, what to hit & what not to hit.

I'm that good and I'd only have to prove it if I was trying to get $ from you. The one's that pay me know. That's what matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am self taught on many things. I also come here to learn, and share. There are plenty of helpful experts on this site.

I promote IPM, I believe that pest will be best but the best defense is healthy plants. While I like safer products, there is no reason to use something as far off label as Laundry Detergent for pest control. The EPA is pretty liberal with Minimum Risk Pesticides but there are still rules.

There are also some very effective minimum risk products out there for insects. I will stick to them and charge accordingly.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I am self taught on many things. I also come here to learn, and share. There are plenty of helpful experts on this site.

I promote IPM, I believe that pest will be best but the best defense is healthy plants. While I like safer products, there is no reason to use something as far off label as Laundry Detergent for pest control. The EPA is pretty liberal with Minimum Risk Pesticides but there are still rules.

There are also some very effective minimum risk products out there for insects. I will stick to them and charge accordingly.
IPM's goal is no pesticides applied. Practicing it would mean in my opinion "SOAP" this late in August. IPM does not teach treating when unnecessary as in webworms will be gone soon enough a matter of weeks. Turf will recover just fine because September to November are its favorite time of year. Just like aphids on myrtles even with sooty mold because of high populations, they will naturally shed their insect. June -July another story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
IPM's goal is no pesticides applied. Practicing it would mean in my opinion "SOAP" this late in August. IPM does not teach treating when unnecessary as in webworms will be gone soon enough a matter of weeks. Turf will recover just fine because September to November are its favorite time of year. Just like aphids on myrtles even with sooty mold because of high populations, they will naturally shed their insect. June -July another story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Unnecessary treatments are to be avoided under IPM but I do not see anywhere advocating the use of off label use of any product.

I have actually sat down with the folks in Crystall City, VA on more than one occasion. I have a pretty good grip on IPM.

http://www.epa.gov/pesp/htmlpublicat..._pespwire.html
Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Horticultural oils are underated

Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

End Of discussion! He's right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread