Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a decent size square is a very quick and accurate method

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use a level and split the difference unless it is a perfect radius then we use a template.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny this thread comes up I was cutting caps today for a versalok wall with a radius. I was thinking to myself there has to be a better way than what im doing. I split the difference from the front of the blocks with a square like many of you do. However It appears this may be one ofthe better ways.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We dont measure anything we thrown down a cap space the next one almost a full cap away set a 3rd cap on top the 2 and draw a line on the left cap and the right one cut and done. Did I not read this thread right? idk Im tired its late
Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's how we do it to...it's always more accurate to scribe than measure. alot of guys i know mark from the underside of their cap but that is awkward. doing it as described above we move around both sides of the radius (especially when it's a circle) at the same time

This is hard to explain without a pic but we set the cap on the radius with the overhang we like, then make sure that both of the back corners of the cap are equal distance from the row of blocks it's sitting on. we maintain that distance all through the radius so that from the top veiw you end up with a smooth looking curve in your caps . Generally we have one full cap then a cut cap then a full cap ect. On tighter radius we sometimes have to shorten the full cap (depending on block) so that you can maintain the correct overhang. (very hard to understand without pictures , i know)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower View Post
We dont measure anything we thrown down a cap space the next one almost a full cap away set a 3rd cap on top the 2 and draw a line on the left cap and the right one cut and done. Did I not read this thread right? idk Im tired its late
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
That's how we do it to...it's always more accurate to scribe than measure. alot of guys i know mark from the underside of their cap but that is awkward. doing it as described above we move around both sides of the radius (especially when it's a circle) at the same time

This is hard to explain without a pic but we set the cap on the radius with the overhang we like, then make sure that both of the back corners of the cap are equal distance from the row of blocks it's sitting on. we maintain that distance all through the radius so that from the top veiw you end up with a smooth looking curve in your caps . Generally we have one full cap then a cut cap then a full cap ect. On tighter radius we sometimes have to shorten the full cap (depending on block) so that you can maintain the correct overhang. (very hard to understand without pictures , i know)
I can't stand when you have full and cut caps alternating like you guys are saying. It's not to noticeable on an outside corner curve, but if it is an inside corner then it really stands out. I think it makes it look like a hack job, you spend all of the time doing the install and then cut corners on one of the final steps. Same with patios, I can't stand when the cuts are alternated on a soldier course, instead of having all larger pavers equally cut, you have little slithers of pavers in between. But that's just my opinion and 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ Couldn't agree more!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may not be understanding what you 2 are saying but if your making an inside corner (or outside depending on which side of the wall your standing on) doesn't the piece have to have a pie shape to it?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
I may not be understanding what you 2 are saying but if your making an inside corner (or outside depending on which side of the wall your standing on) doesn't the piece have to have a pie shape to it?
Yes the pieces will still by pie shaped somewhat. If you alternate the cuts then the lengths of the faces will be alternating as well. If you split the angle and cut both bricks equally then the lengths of the faces will all be the same
Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What determines the proper angle for the given radius so that all are equal and have the same overhang?