Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If you can not develop one quickly, just get a HTML template up asap.

you can get those cheap.

You can keep the flash site for now... just change your home page over for now, then work on it.
How about going through a professional web page developer? There's www.americaneagle.com and www.teamwebusa.com. TeamWebUSA gave me a quote of $1,500 for a five page layout.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I copied the post below from the other forum because I'm trying to keep all of the discussion regarding the Slap-on attachment on a single thread.

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I don't undertand its value. I can take a big bag and place my two shoes on the bag holding it to the ground and my hand to hold it open. The key is to utilize the wind to blow the bag open. So what else do I need?
First, you're bending over and paddling leaves in the loosely held bag, not very good on the back. Not the case with the Slap-on product. You sweep or rake the leaves into the bin like you would a dust pan, except this receptacle has a 23" square opening to collect the debris. Second, you only have one free hand available to paddle the leaves in the bag (the second hand is required to hold the bag). With the Slap-on attachment, no paddling of leaves with a single hand is necessary. Instead, you have a leaf rake or other appropriate tool available to forcibly sweep or push leaves or other debris into a bag. That's why you're able to fill a 55 gallon bag in approximately 20 seconds with the Slap-on attachment.

Third, because your feet need to remain in place to hold the bottom of the bag flush to the ground, you've lost all mobility to move around your area to collect other leaves or debris to bring over to where you're attempting to bag them. Not the case with the Slap-on attachment with the receptacle. You're free to move about to gather sufficient quantities of leaves or debris to continue your bagging. Fourth, as you indicated, because the bag is freely held, the wind and other factors could interfere with your ability to keep the bag sufficiently open. You're left fighting with the elements. That is not the case with the Slap-on attachment and the receptacle. The bag is enclosed and secure along the complete wall of the receptacle. That means you have an opening that is 23" square that goes approximately 30" deep to the base of the receptacle. That's quite a large collection bin.

Fifth, because your bag is loosely held, it is difficult to compact the leaves in the bag to get the bag's full value in capacity. That is because the bag tends to give where there is least resistance Not the case with the Slap-on attachment and square receptacle. Because the bag is enclosed by a solid walled receptacle, the bag has nowhere to give. That maximizes your ability to compact the leaves. I'm sure others could name some other advantages, but those are a few I thought of off of the top of my head."
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was lucky enough for Eric (slapon) to ask me to try out his product for him last year, about this time of year actually. I was a little skeptical at first, not really seeing too much value in his product. But I figured I didn't have much to lose just to test out his product for him and see how it worked and give him a litle feedback. After using on and off for te past year, I have definately found value in the product and think he has come up with quite a unique invention.

When I do clean-ups, I have way too much material/debris (leaves and grass) that for the most part it just wouldn't be effiicient for me to dump my bagger into plastic bags and then throw them on the trailer, only to empty them out of the bags later on...I'd have way too many bags and I use a compost site at a family member's farm. However I really like the slap on for when doing detail work such as when trimming bushed and cleaning out leaves from flower beds. I don't mind using the plastic bags then since it would just be a couple bags to empty at the end of the day and it's way easier than getting the mower off the trailer and blowing the debris into the lawn and then mowing it all up. It also works great in the shop/garage, keeps the bag on the can and not dropping down into the can.

I had been talking back and forth with Eric for a while about compostable bags/liners that would fit my trash can and slap-on attachment. He was pretty quick to do a little research and find me some bags recently that are fully compostable. I have yet to order them but they appear to be exactly what I would need. Since I don't use too many bags, the price wouldn't be an issue, but it definitely would be something I would use.

There are surely some uses for this product and I can see many people finding a use for it. But like every product, it may not work for everyone but there is surely a market for it.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have no idea what this product looks like in use. Are there any pics anywhere?
You'd think the OP would have them plastered all over this thread.

The flash site doesn't work and so far all I know is that it's some sort of clippy thingie that goes on some sort of "special" can to hold a bag in place.

How large are the bags/can?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I still have no idea what this product looks like in use. Are there any pics anywhere?
You'd think the OP would have them plastered all over this thread.

The flash site doesn't work and so far all I know is that it's some sort of clippy thingie that goes on some sort of "special" can to hold a bag in place.

How large are the bags/can?
The attachment works on Grainger's 48 and 55 gallon Tough Guy square receptacles, product #s 5DMV5 and 6YLP6. The item number for ordering the can liners from Grainger is 5XL60. They are 42.5" wide by 48" long, 1.1 mil in thickness, low density, and 56-gallon capacity can liners.

Last edited by slapon; 08-26-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Photos

Well, I tried to upload the pictures. I chose my files and clicked on upload, but it didn't take. I'm obviously not doing something right, so I'll have to get some help from one of you.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
You're right, there are other options out there, each with its advantages and disadvantages.

Leaf loaders are great, but they also have their drawbacks. First, they're really expensive, especially relative to the Slap-on attachment and its accessories. Second, you generally need to create a bed that will accommodate the leaves that are being loaded, incurring additional expenses. Third, leaf loaders are mechanical and can break down, causing ongoing maintenance to be more expensive. Fourth, they consume gas, so you have that ongoing expense. Fifth, they are not mobile, so you will often have to bring the leaves to the loader instead of taking the loader to the leaves. You have to add the time that you are putting leaves on a tarp and dragging it to the leaf loader toward the total time required to bag leaves. The attachment with a receptacle can be set up practically anywhere. Sixth, leaf loaders are prone to clog at times, especially when leaves are wet. No problem with the Slap-on device. Actually, leaves are probably easier to bag when wet. Seventh, because the Slap-on attachment is not mechanical, it is easier to operate. It's also easier to store. There could be other advantages others could add.

I am sure there are other disadvantages of the attachment, but I am hoping lawn care professionals will find a place for it with their other tools.

Thanks for your input.
Ill stick with my leaf loader and 10 yard leaf box. I havent used a rake or tarp in 15 years.
Blow all the leaves in a pile, suck them up and go. Like I said your product would be great for home owners with small properties but us commercial guys have to move many yards of leaves off big properties. Time is money and Im not going spends days raking leaves into plastic bags at each property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Ill stick with my leaf loader and 10 yard leaf box. I havent used a rake or tarp in 15 years.
Blow all the leaves in a pile, suck them up and go. Like I said your product would be great for home owners with small properties but us commercial guys have to move many yards of leaves off big properties. Time is money and Im not going spends days raking leaves into plastic bags at each property.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm like you in that there is too much volume in leaves, but I see that bush trimming is an area where it would work for me.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i cant get your website to come up at all, just a blank red screen, so i cant tell if this is something i would like or not, seems like a good idea(like my run on sentence?).

also, if they fit the containers that you say, they are like 300 bucks, so no way . give me some better links to see exactly what you are talking about here.

thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I'm like you in that there is too much volume in leaves, but I see that bush trimming is an area where it would work for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i cant get your website to come up at all, just a blank red screen, so i cant tell if this is something i would like or not, seems like a good idea(like my run on sentence?).

also, if they fit the containers that you say, they are like 300 bucks, so no way . give me some better links to see exactly what you are talking about here.

thanks
Sorry for the multi-quote. I realize this is a problem with my web site for some. It's based on Adobe flash, and, if you don't have the most recent Adobe reader, or if you're working from a Mac, you might not be able to see the pages. I'm getting that changed shortly. I recently tried posting pictures and it didn't work for me. If someone could help me understand how to post pictures, I'll post some pictures here to help you out.

I'm suggesting the 48 gallon Tough Guy square receptacle from Grainger, product #5DMV5. It sells for around $52. Shipping is free if your order is large enough, which I believe it will be.

Last edited by slapon; 08-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.