Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tablet PC

I need a new computer. My old one crapped out at the end of last season, and I've been using my girlfriends for everything now. I do all my schedules in word and print them off for my and the other crew weekly. I've had a thought about trying to go paperless, though. The other crew foreman has an iphone, and if I could somehow just send him the schedule or use google docs to be able to continually update it would be really nice. I was thinking I could get myself a tablet to use in the truck and update the schedules as needed and just shoot him a text every time there's an update.

My question is what do you tablet users think of your current one?

What options do I have to do the scheduling the way I want to without going with a company that I'll have to pay monthly?

Also, I really want to spend ~ $300, however, am willing to spend what I need to get something that will last. I've seen the otter boxes for the ipad. What other tablets have good protection options, etc.

I know this has been discussed before with the mobile office, but anyone found a great small printer option?

Final question, what do I need to do as far as getting it online? I have a router at my house, but want to be able to use it on the go without spending an arm and a leg. Not to mention being able to finish out my paper work at the shop without having to go home to my office.

Last, my apologies for not already being more informed. I've been looking but have no idea what I'm looking at. Before I start seriously looking on Amazon or talking to some punk kid at Best Buy, I want to see what other landscapers are using successfully.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the galaxy 10.1. I use it basically everything. Any documents i get i scan in with the camera and it turns it into a pdf file. If you get a tablet though, be sure to get a plug in keyboard with it. Thats my only gripe about it. It may be hard to find something around $300. With service plan and taxes, mine was around $700.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, like I said, I'm willing to spend more to get what I need. Part of the reason I want to spend around 300 is to be able to buy a keyboard and service plan, etc. If I need it. The other reason is that I don't want to buy something and then drop it the next day or realize it's not as good of a fit for my business as I thought. I just got done making a $600 mistake buying two shindaiwa trimmers that are junk. I'm trying to minimize those mistakes.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

motion Computing Le 700 or 600 tablet/ slate Computer