Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
the way I do leaves on a weekly basis I spend maybe 15-20 min more per property. just like if I were bagging clippings in the spring.

so for me there IS a connection between price per cut and leaf removal. I charge accordingly for that extra 15-20 min.
This is what makes this site so interseting. 10 people can read the same question and give 10 different answers. You say you charge accordingly for the extra 15-20min. I charge for my time also. You did not give a price or time for the cut. You charged for the extra time. The original cost does not matter. Only the extra time. Therefore no connection to price per cut.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
This is what makes this site so interseting. 10 people can read the same question and give 10 different answers. You say you charge accordingly for the extra 15-20min. I charge for my time also. You did not give a price or time for the cut. You charged for the extra time. The original cost does not matter. Only the extra time. Therefore no connection to price per cut.
actually that's because I failed to mention I start by charging the cut price PLUS extra for the extra time.

so there is a HUGE connection to the price per cut.

example with numbers just for the example. normal $40 per cut. leaves make that time 15 min more. so the price is $55 to remove the leaves on a weekly basis.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
the way I do leaves on a weekly basis I spend maybe 15-20 min more per property. just like if I were bagging clippings in the spring.

so for me there IS a connection between price per cut and leaf removal. I charge accordingly for that extra 15-20 min.
A connection between the 2 would be if you have a $35 mow & you charge $35 for leaves for total bill of $70 or double mowing price for leaves @ $70+$35 mow, for total bill of $105. I don't think anyone in there right mind would base leaf clean up on price per mow. You could have 2 lawns same size/price $35. First may have 1 tree & no trees at neighboring properties & the second may have 2 trees with 8 more at neighboring properties. If you charge $35 mow & $35 leaves= $70 for each property, your going to lose on 1!

Edit-Charging for time is the way to do it & has no connection with price per cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

guess I'm not in my right mind then.

my charging for fall clean ups is exactly how I said. I charge the normal price per cut plus extra for the extra 15-20 min it takes to blow everything into the turf areas to me mowed up.

just so happens my above example is exactly how I charge. a dollar a min. so if I normally cut the property for $40 and it takes me an extra 15 min I charge $55.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
guess I'm not in my right mind then.

my charging for fall clean ups is exactly how I said. I charge the normal price per cut plus extra for the extra 15-20 min it takes to blow everything into the turf areas to me mowed up.

just so happens my above example is exactly how I charge. a dollar a min. so if I normally cut the property for $40 and it takes me an extra 15 min I charge $55.
No you're in your right mind cuz you are charging for time & has nothing to do with mowing price. Now if your lawn is $40 & you charge half your mowing price for leaves $20+$40=$60. That is a connection to mowing price. If someone is looking for connection, they basically want a formula. The formula is man hours X your hourly rate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clean up pricing

Hello I'm new to the site but have been doing landscaping a long time, it seems no one is mentioning any gardening, pruning, cutting back of perrenials, etc. I would typically try to get 1.5 time the amount of a weekly cut per month so for a lawn that is 40 a week, I would try to get atleast 240 for a clean up, more if there is alot of trees, etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuacro View Post
If I show up with a 3 man crew and it takes 2 hours would that be $120 bill?
That is $20 hr gross. That means the net is going to look even grosser.

Low balling hall of fame.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Hello I'm new to the site but have been doing landscaping a long time, it seems no one is mentioning any gardening, pruning, cutting back of perrenials, etc. I would typically try to get 1.5 time the amount of a weekly cut per month so for a lawn that is 40 a week, I would try to get atleast 240 for a clean up, more if there is alot of trees, etc.
Because that is prunning. A separate job.

People say clean up they want the leaves gone off the lawn and out of the beds.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see, there are definetly houses with no gardening and just leaves, but I always found it easier to get the gardens gutted and then the leaves come out much easier, I just have a all inclusive fall cleanup price, then the place looks mint when you are done, but I mainly do residential suburban type properites not so much rural, so typically people with smaller lots kind of expect it to be spotless. Either way I love doing cleanups spring or fall.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I see, there are definetly houses with no gardening and just leaves, but I always found it easier to get the gardens gutted and then the leaves come out much easier, I just have a all inclusive fall cleanup price, then the place looks mint when you are done, but I mainly do residential suburban type properites not so much rural, so typically people with smaller lots kind of expect it to be spotless. Either way I love doing cleanups spring or fall.
No you don't see. I don't know about in the 3rd world but (just joking) in the US of A we clean leaves and fallen branches out of the beds and the lawn when we do a lawn clean up.

The way that you use the word Gardening is not the same as here. Also to gut out something here is to rip out everything down to the bare soil. That means every weed, mulch, ground cover, bush, shrub, ornamental tree that was in the bed. Then either to replant it or revert it back to a lawn.

This why I will repeat trimming trees shrubs hedges may need to be done in the fall but many people won't spend for that level of service.

Just as in the restaurant where my son works as a chef two people can have a dinner for an easy $250 without beverages or desert. Then there are restaurants were two people can have a meal for $25-$50 dollars.

More people eat in the less expensive restaurant because they can't afford the 5 star treatment.

I wish I had all high end customers as you do. How tough is Canada on illegal aliens? Maybe I should come on up?