Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Box truck instead of a pick-up and trailer?

I'm thinking I might be better off getting some kind of a single axle bread truck or Cheetos truck with at least 16 feet behind the seat...rather than a pick-up and trailer.
It should have enough length and width to haul a midmount mower w61" deck, walk-behind, and gear.
Wonder if the insurance would be cheaper on a box truck, versus insurance on the p-u and trailer?
I'll have to do something for tie-downs, and for a ramp.
What do you guy's think?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, DOT inspections and medical cards for anyone who drives it...probably not cheaper than truck and trailer but much nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried a 10ft box 9000lb srw bread box van for a year. I liked it so much that I've been using a16ft box step van for over 5yrs now. Duel rear wheels 10,000lb Do not need med cards. I do have pick up and open trailer. Insurence about same as other trucks.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Box truck instead of a pick-up and trailer?

Lol well here in Michigan you don't need annual inspections in ur under CDL (under 26,001 pounds)

Med cards are so easy and cost like 10 bucks! Go in cough a few time and get your cojones jingled and your done!

Also there is a company who makes a detachable dovetail ramp which is really nice if you ever want to take it off but it's also a ton of money! We love our box truck. Use it for our sidewalk crew in the winter too!
Just leave a few pallets of salt in there

PM For DETAILS!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
Lol well here in Michigan you don't need annual inspections in ur under CDL (under 26,001 pounds)

Med cards are so easy and cost like 10 bucks! Go in cough a few time and get your cojones jingled and your done!

Also there is a company who makes a detachable dovetail ramp which is really nice if you ever want to take it off but it's also a ton of money! We love our box truck. Use it for our sidewalk crew in the winter too!
Just leave a few pallets of salt in there
My med card was $100

Better check Michigans DOT on the inspections...If you are over 10k GVWR it's required...I'm pretty sure that's a federal law.

http://co.livingston.mi.us/sheriff/trafficsafety/Comm%20Veh.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by cgaengineer; 08-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Previously I used a Chevy 1500 with a camper top with a 14 foot utility trailer. Last year I went to an Isuzu NPR with an 11 foot bed and a three foot dove tail. I love it I can get in places the truck and trailer never would. I put two eight foot tool boxes on one side of the bed and can still get two 60" mowers on it.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
Previously I used a Chevy 1500 with a camper top with a 14 foot utility trailer. Last year I went to an Isuzu NPR with an 11 foot bed and a three foot dove tail. I love it I can get in places the truck and trailer never would. I put two eight foot tool boxes on one side of the bed and can still get two 60" mowers on it.
The turning radius in an NPR is not much more than a small car.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
My med card was $100

Better check Michigans DOT on the inspections...If you are over 10k GVWR it's required...I'm pretty sure that's a federal law.

http://co.livingston.mi.us/sheriff/t...Comm%20Veh.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleLawncare View Post
Here is some info on the bill that was passed for those of you interested. Only things you don't have to have anymore are DOT numbers, DOT inspection stickers, and log books. Your still required to have everything else including med cards. It also seems to me that if you continue to keep the DOT stickers on your trucks they will still be subject to full DOT regulations.

Public Act 231 of 2012

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5v2...e=2011-HB-5228

Public Act 231 was approved by the governer 6/29/12, assigned Public Act number 231 of 2012 and ordered to take immediate effect.

)The Act provides that the State adopts a number of Federal motor carrier safety regulations. Under the Act, these regulations would not apply to a vehicle that is not a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as defined in 49 CFR 383.5 and/or that is operated in intrastate commerce. Such a vehicle, however, would remain subject to 49 CFR Parts 391 through 393 link to applicable section of the act: PA 231 Sec. 1a (3).

Under 49 CFR 383.5, the definition of "CMV" refers to;
1. a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles that weighs at least 26,001 pounds;
2. is designed to transport at least 16 people;
3. or is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require placarding.

FMCSR Parts 391-393 continue to apply and contain rules that pertain to qualifications of drivers (medical cards/driver files) and longer combination vehicle driver instructors, driving of CMVs (driver pre-trip inspection, RRX rules, fatigued or ill drivers etc), and parts and accessories necessary for safe operation (including safety equipment, lighting rules, brake requirements, cargo securement etc).

In addition, Sections 5(8) and 6(1) of the Act would not apply to a non-CMV that is operated in intrastate commerce. (Under Section 5(8), a motor carrier operating entirely in intrastate commerce solely within Michigan may not permit or require a CMV operator engaged in seasonal construction-related activities to operate for more than a specified number of hours in a particular period of time. Section 6(1) requires motor carriers to submit their transportation safety-related documents and equipment for inspection or copying to an enforcement member of the State Police Motor Carrier Division.

SHORT EXPLANATION:

NON-CDL requiring commercial motor vehicles operated entirely within Michigan [in intrastate commerce] will no longer need to display USDOT numbers, carry proof of DOT inspection and drivers will no longer need to use log books.

If you have a USDOT number displayed on your vehicle and you no longer require it due to PA 231, you may wish to consider removing it from your vehicles. The USDOT monitors carrier and driver compliance with the DOT rules by tracking violations attached to DOT numbers under the CSA compliance and enforcement program.
Sorry for getting off topic..

I also loved my NPR! The plowing panoramic view was unstoppable.
My next truck will be a Isuzu or Fuso (4x4) with a flatbed and REMOVABLE dovetail ramp. Im going to make the sides/racks removable so i can have a flatbed plow truck for the winter.. Its going to be a liquid and rock spreader truck with a 8'2 boss v plow. Can see it now...

PM For DETAILS!